+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how long can I postpone my oath ceremony?

marta cocchi

Oct 31, 2013
Hi all,
I just received an invitation to attend the online oath ceremony in a few weeks but I am away from BC until June 2023. I have a good excuse for being away because it is related to my young daughter's health. I am sending an email asking to postpone but I was wondering:
Has anyone ever been able to take the ceremony from abroad?
If not, is it possible to postpone the ceremony for 9 months? Someone told me there is a 6 months max limit to postpone.
Thank you kindly.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hi all,
I just received an invitation to attend the online oath ceremony in a few weeks but I am away from BC until June 2023. I have a good excuse for being away because it is related to my young daughter's health. I am sending an email asking to postpone but I was wondering:
Has anyone ever been able to take the ceremony from abroad?
If not, is it possible to postpone the ceremony for 9 months? Someone told me there is a 6 months max limit to postpone.
Thank you kindly.
Oath outside Canada has been discussed in various threads. Suffice to say, that there have only been 2 cases reported here, and no one can vouch for their 100% authenticity or accuracy. It doesn't hurt to ask, so go ahead and request. Chances of approval are nil to slim.

Not sure where the 6 month max limit comes from. If you inform IRCC of your inability to attend, chances are they will ask you to confirm when you finally return to Canada, with evidence (as reported by a number of people) and then just wait for Oath.

Reactions: marta cocchi

marta cocchi

Oct 31, 2013
I would like to follow up for whoever may need this information.
I confirm that it is possible to be granted the opportunity to do the ceremony from abroad. In my case it was approved in November 2022, due to my "extenuating circumstances". I had sent plenty of proves supporting my statement and 4 telephone numbers and emails of different professionals in Canada who could be contacted to support my case.
I had to wait a couple of months to attend the oath (it can take up to 6 months) and then a couple of months to receive the certificate of citizenships (it can take up to 6 months).
Once I got it I sent the certificate to the embassy nearest to me and applied for a passport which arrived within a month, just last week, in March 2023.
I love Canada and how smooth it all goes. So proud to be a canadian citizen!
I hope this helps. Good luck.

kadian

Sep 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I confirm that it is possible to be granted the opportunity to do the ceremony from abroad. In my case it was approved in November 2022, due to my "extenuating circumstances". I had sent plenty of proves supporting my statement and 4 telephone numbers and emails of different professionals in Canada who could be contacted to support my case.
I had to wait a couple of months to attend the oath (it can take up to 6 months) and then a couple of months to receive the certificate of citizenships (it can take up to 6 months).
Once I got it I sent the certificate to the embassy nearest to me and applied for a passport which arrived within a month, just last week, in March 2023.
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

I have been planning to do the same as I do not expect to return to Canada anytime soon.
I have medical documents/evidence from Canadian doctors who treated my critically ill parent and later had to be flown back to the home country for treatment.
I had to resign from my Canadian employer and find employment in my country of birth. I am not sure if declaring about change in employment is required.
I find your idea of providing Canadian evidence to prove my extenuating circumstances very credible.
I do not mind waiting in my "country of birth" for the process to culminate.

I have read about many people postponing the Oath dates due to out of country status. Many of them wanted to stay abroad longer but had no idea about taking the Oath abroad. I hope once they read your experience, it will instill some confidence to try this option. Remember guys, there is no legal obligation that restricts you from securing Canadian citizenship, even if you intend to stay out of Canada post fulfilling the eligibility period of 3 years

Goodluck to everyone.

footyluv

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

I have been planning to do the same as I do not expect to return to Canada anytime soon.
I have medical documents/evidence from Canadian doctors who treated my critically ill parent and later had to be flown back to the home country for treatment.
I had to resign from my Canadian employer and find employment in my country of birth. I am not sure if declaring about change in employment is required.
I find your idea of providing Canadian evidence to prove my extenuating circumstances very credible.
I do not mind waiting in my "country of birth" for the process to culminate.

I have read about many people postponing the Oath dates due to out of country status. Many of them wanted to stay abroad longer but had no idea about taking the Oath abroad. I hope once they read your experience, it will instill some confidence to try this option. Remember guys, there is no legal obligation that restricts you from securing Canadian citizenship, even if you intend to stay out of Canada post fulfilling the eligibility period of 3 years

Goodluck to everyone.
Were you successful in getting the request approved? (oath ceremony abroad)

footyluv

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
Was the ceritificate mailed to your address abroad?