+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long can a PR holder stay outside Canada? help...urgent thanks

mydee_carter

May 27, 2016
Hi, I am a PR holder for almost 4 years now, but I am currently outside Canada for vacation, I know that there are new laws being implemented last Oct., so I would like to ask how many months am I allowed to stay outside Canada.

Thank

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi, I am a PR holder for almost 4 years now, but I am currently outside Canada for vacation, I know that there are new laws being implemented last Oct., so I would like to ask how many months am I allowed to stay outside Canada.

Thank
You can stay outside Canada for a maximum of 1095 days in the previous 1825 days or since you became a permanent resident, which ever is the lower. There are no recent changes to periods of time outside Canada.

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017

Thank
As a PR, you could stay outside Canada as much as you want but make sure you come back on time to maintain your PR residency obligation.

You are required to be physically in Canada at least 2 years within a a 5 years period to met your residency obligations.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=727&top=4

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

Thank
The law change was related to citizenship requirements where you must spend 3 years of the 5 years at time of application physically in Canada. One of those years can be credited if physically in Canada at half a day for each day to maximum 1 year credit, again only if within the 5 years preceeding a citizenship application.

As per other answers residency obligation is 2 years out of the initial 5 since initial landing after which the 5 years is a rolling 5 years each time you enter the country