+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long before we start to worry?

autoscriptor

Star Member
Jul 5, 2009
Hello wonderful people,

we applied for in-land sponsorship for sponsoring my wife. This is my second marriage, never sponsored a spouse before, we have no kids, have been married for 6 years most of which was abroad. I moved back to Canada in December of last year and she followed in May this year.

we sent the application on June 14 and have not heard anything since. We are seeing July applicants getting AOR which makes feel a little bit on edge. I have been checking the portal and our emails rigorously including spam folders. Just in case I misspelled the email address, does the portal change the status of the application from “submitted” to something else?If we should worry, what actions we might need to take?
My wife is now entering her 3rd month on a visit TRV. When should we start applying for an extension?

Thank you all.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello wonderful people,

we applied for in-land sponsorship for sponsoring my wife. This is my second marriage, never sponsored a spouse before, we have no kids, have been married for 6 years most of which was abroad. I moved back to Canada in December of last year and she followed in May this year.

we sent the application on June 14 and have not heard anything since. We are seeing July applicants getting AOR which makes feel a little bit on edge. I have been checking the portal and our emails rigorously including spam folders. Just in case I misspelled the email address, does the portal change the status of the application from “submitted” to something else?If we should worry, what actions we might need to take?
My wife is now entering her 3rd month on a visit TRV. When should we start applying for an extension?

Thank you all.
Don't forget to breathe! ;)

You could try sending a web form, but it may be too early in the process to get any sort of `update'. It's also possible, perhaps even probable, that the portal updates are less than reliable.
There have been many glitches reported, mostly regarding PR Card renewals, but also with spousal sponsorship application, to a degree.

Regarding your wife's current visitor status, she should wait to apply for an extension just before the expiry date (unless she receives the AOR email, then can apply for an OWP is wanted/needed) as that would extend her status (Maintained Status) while waiting for the OWP. If she has no need, or interest in the OWP, apply to extend her visitor status at that time.

For some, the OWP is not really worth the ~$255 if they're just waiting for their PR.

EA0924

Aug 3, 2023
Don't forget to breathe! ;)

You could try sending a web form, but it may be too early in the process to get any sort of `update'. It's also possible, perhaps even probable, that the portal updates are less than reliable.
There have been many glitches reported, mostly regarding PR Card renewals, but also with spousal sponsorship application, to a degree.

Regarding your wife's current visitor status, she should wait to apply for an extension just before the expiry date (unless she receives the AOR email, then can apply for an OWP is wanted/needed) as that would extend her status (Maintained Status) while waiting for the OWP. If she has no need, or interest in the OWP, apply to extend her visitor status at that time.

For some, the OWP is not really worth the ~$255 if they're just waiting for their PR.

im also in some kind of that situation... incase i applied for an extension? Am i Legal to stay while waiting for the approval of the extension? is it another 6 months of extension?

if i go through the path of applying for the work permit, how long before they will release the permit? and what is the duration of the permit?

autoscriptor

Star Member
Jul 5, 2009
I’m not answering any of your questions, but I saw people here saying that many applicants got their PR before having the chance to receive their work permit. I hope some of the senior members have some answers to both of us.
When did you apply?

autoscriptor

Star Member
Jul 5, 2009
I really can use some advice because it looks like most of those who applied in June, if not all, have received their AOR. We feel like our application was lost or neglected. My wife came on TRV expecting to wait 30 days for the AOR and then 60 days for the OWP. We knew in advance this was not guaranteed. However, we feel worried something went wrong and will have to wait longer while living on a single income.
  1. Please reply if you applied in June and have not received AOR yet. We need to feel we are not alone
  2. I'm worried I applied on the wrong portal. The one I applied through is https://prson-srpel.apps.cic.gc.ca/en. Please let me know if this is wrong
  3. I read here that after submitting the application, the confirmation email arrives shortly after with a confirmation number. Is that true? Ours didn't have a confirmation number. We are confused :confused:
  4. Which visa office handles BC applications?
Sorry for the negative vibes

im also in some kind of that situation... incase i applied for an extension? Am i Legal to stay while waiting for the approval of the extension? is it another 6 months of extension?

if i go through the path of applying for the work permit, how long before they will release the permit? and what is the duration of the permit?
EA0924: When did you apply? Nothing Yet?

falcon500

Jul 17, 2023

Apply for the work permit. If it is approved, your wife can stay in the country for two years in case your application is rejected. It gives you time till you sort things out.

Jumss

Star Member
Mar 26, 2023
Apply for the work permit. If it is approved, your wife can stay in the country for two years in case your application is rejected. It gives you time till you sort things out.
You mean he can apply for work permit without aor?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You mean he can apply for work permit without aor?
No. An Inland applicant needs to have received the official AOR email to qualify for the OWP. They also need to have legal status (even Maintained Status) else they wait for AIP before they can apply.

autoscriptor

Star Member
Jul 5, 2009
I really can use some advice because it looks like most of those who applied in June, if not all, have received their AOR. We feel like our application was lost or neglected. My wife came on TRV expecting to wait 30 days for the AOR and then 60 days for the OWP. We knew in advance this was not guaranteed. However, we feel worried something went wrong and will have to wait longer while living on a single income.
  1. Please reply if you applied in June and have not received AOR yet. We need to feel we are not alone
  2. I'm worried I applied on the wrong portal. The one I applied through is https://prson-srpel.apps.cic.gc.ca/en. Please let me know if this is wrong
  3. I read here that after submitting the application, the confirmation email arrives shortly after with a confirmation number. Is that true? Ours didn't have a confirmation number. We are confused :confused:
  4. Which visa office handles BC applications?
Sorry for the negative vibes

EA0924: When did you apply? Nothing Yet?
I would like to thank everyone who provided help by replying to me and also thank those who stopped here and hijacked the thread instead. I wish good luck to everyone though. :)

Update: Our application was rejected and returned on August 31. The reason was missing the IMM 5562 (Supplementary information - Your travels) although the form was not marked required on the list. Hopefully, we won't have to wait as long as we waited before.

nve

Apr 18, 2022
Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
28-06-2023
AOR Received.
15-08-2023
I would like to thank everyone who provided help by replying to me and also thank those who stopped here and hijacked the thread instead. I wish good luck to everyone though. :)

Update: Our application was rejected and returned on August 31. The reason was missing the IMM 5562 (Supplementary information - Your travels) although the form was not marked required on the list. Hopefully, we won't have to wait as long as we waited before.
Oh no, that's too bad! I hope it will be faster this time!
I was wondering about that form too and whether I should submit it or not.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

The principal applicant must fill out these digital forms online:

• Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008)
  • Schedule A – Background/Declaration (IMM 5669) – You must fill out this form for yourself, and on behalf of any family members who are 18 or older.
  • Additional Family Information (IMM 5406)
  • Supplementary Information – Your Travels (IMM 5562), if it applies
I would take the "if it applies' to mean if the applicant had ever traveled...which would seem to apply to almost every applicant. If you are saying that this is not on the Document Checklist, you should ask that your application be reconsidered.

Reactions: kiwitocadwi

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Supplementary Information – Your Travels (IMM 5562), if it applies
I would take the "if it applies' to mean if the applicant had ever traveled...which would seem to apply to almost every applicant. If you are saying that this is not on the Document Checklist, you should ask that your application be reconsidered.
I think some applicants - by nationality - do not need to fill this out. If unsure - provide it.

Reactions: Ponga

autoscriptor

Star Member
Jul 5, 2009
https://ircc.canada.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

The principal applicant must fill out these digital forms online:

• Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008)
  • Schedule A – Background/Declaration (IMM 5669) – You must fill out this form for yourself, and on behalf of any family members who are 18 or older.
  • Additional Family Information (IMM 5406)
  • Supplementary Information – Your Travels (IMM 5562), if it applies
The checklist asks the applicant to include any country specific requirements and doesn’t have this form listed by itself. It was an oversight from me actually and a little bit about how the portal displayed the information. All forms that was supposed to be filled online had the note “required” except that form where it said “not required”.
Three weeks ago I noticed that this could be a problem and I filled a web form and attached the missing form. However, they returned the application before getter no to the web form.

Reactions: armoured