+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long after background verification will PR be completed?

Feb 13, 2024
Hello everyone

The status of my Application Status Tracker has been "in progress" for "background verification" for 2~ months now. I've gotten biometrics & Canada has rendered my husband (Canadian) eligible to sponsor me (an American). I haven't been asked to take a medical exam and don't believe I'll have to take one, as when I asked previously while getting a visitors visa, they told me I won't, but it is advised. Ultimately that may change and lengthen the process.

They received our application on Nov 17, 2023, and our eligibility status was updated to "Eligible" on Dec 19, 2023.

Since then, it's been at background verification. I know it's only 2 months but, as the rental market is a little crazy, I want to work ASAP so that we can be comfortable, and not just getting by. I'm not a skilled worker so I didn't find that I could get work before moving here.

Open work permits are taking 2-4 months to process so, I'm wondering if it's likely our PR will be processed soon.

If not, what would be the estimated time range to complete the background verification + PR entirely(as a U.S. citizen)? Thank you for those who the entire thing :cool:

Kananaskis

Star Member
Oct 4, 2023
As far as I know, everyone has to undergo medical exams for the Spousal application. (Unless Americans are exempt of that).

Your application is very new, and the background in progress you are referring might have not started yet. (Depending where you are checking). Are you checking that information on the tracker, and if so which tracker, yours (PA UCI) or his (Sponsor UCI)?
For inland applications the estimate time is 10 months, but some of them do get their application earlier, I believe the earliest I saw for inland was 5 months.
With the AOR you received, you can get a OWP.
No one can say which one will be done first, so in that case my suggestion would be to apply for an OWP asap and whichever comes first, great!

Reactions: amerika2canada
Feb 13, 2024
I'm checking the tracker under my UCI as the principal applicant. Does my husband/sponsor have his own tracker too?

We applied earlier in 2023, but it was returned to us with 80% our sections marked as 'incomplete' :oops:. They closed it a couple weeks later and we applied again in September with all the same information/data as the first and it was approved.

Sounds like I should just get the work visa. Thanks for your help!!

Kananaskis

Star Member
Oct 4, 2023
Yes, but under yours (PA) you have access to more information.
Usually the process goes on this order:
-AOR
-Biometrics
-Sponsor Eligibility
-Medical exam
-PA eligibility (assessment of relationship and evidence)
-Background verification

So you can have an idea at what stage you are in. Hope this was helpful

Good luck

w8ing4visa

Star Member
Nov 15, 2023
Hello everyone

The status of my Application Status Tracker has been "in progress" for "background verification" for 2~ months now. I've gotten biometrics & Canada has rendered my husband (Canadian) eligible to sponsor me (an American). I haven't been asked to take a medical exam and don't believe I'll have to take one, as when I asked previously while getting a visitors visa, they told me I won't, but it is advised. Ultimately that may change and lengthen the process.

They received our application on Nov 17, 2023, and our eligibility status was updated to "Eligible" on Dec 19, 2023.

Since then, it's been at background verification. I know it's only 2 months but, as the rental market is a little crazy, I want to work ASAP so that we can be comfortable, and not just getting by. I'm not a skilled worker so I didn't find that I could get work before moving here.

Open work permits are taking 2-4 months to process so, I'm wondering if it's likely our PR will be processed soon.

If not, what would be the estimated time range to complete the background verification + PR entirely(as a U.S. citizen)? Thank you for those who the entire thing :cool:
If only background is left then your application could approved/complete as soon as possible to unknown following background checks are completed!

• Love

Mars2023

Feb 5, 2024
Hello, have you had any more progress in your application? I believe my wife and I are in a similar situation as yours. That background verification is also making us impatient.

Just to share our experience, my wife is American, and she did her medical at the beginning of Feb. From my understanding, everyone being sponsored is required to do a medical.

Have you had to apply to extend your stay? You mentioned a visitor visa in your original post, what do you mean? I thought Americans don't need a visa?

Feb 13, 2024
Hey Mars,

No, nothing as of today. It's still at background verification.

I've been in Canada for about a year already and extended my visitor's visa a few months ago for another year.

American citizens require a visa if staying for more than 6 months. If your wife has been here longer than that, or is approaching the 6 month mark, you should definitely apply for a visitors visa.

If she can get a work or student visa that would be good too.

Mars2023

Feb 5, 2024
Hey Mars,

No, nothing as of today. It's still at background verification.

I've been in Canada for about a year already and extended my visitor's visa a few months ago for another year.

American citizens require a visa if staying for more than 6 months. If your wife has been here longer than that, or is approaching the 6 month mark, you should definitely apply for a visitors visa.

If she can get a work or student visa that would be good too.
Is it just a regular visitor visa that we apply for? I'm not sure if there's a different application for the ones waiting on spousal sponsorship. We already applied for an OWP but it's also taking forever. She also just wants to start working again.

Feb 13, 2024
It's a regular visitor visa, there's no special one for people in the PR process. OWP says it takes 2-4 months so I'd just wait for that, unless she's been staying in Canada beyond 6 months. Good luck

aksaelsababu

Jan 19, 2024
Yes, but under yours (PA) you have access to more information.
Usually the process goes on this order:
-AOR
-Biometrics
-Sponsor Eligibility
-Medical exam
-PA eligibility (assessment of relationship and evidence)
-Background verification

So you can have an idea at what stage you are in. Hope this was helpful

Good luck
Hey,
So in my application tracker it shows biometrics and background check in progress but medical and eligibility not started, so is there any chance they are in the final stage then?

Kananaskis

Star Member
Oct 4, 2023
Hey,
So in my application tracker it shows biometrics and background check in progress but medical and eligibility not started, so is there any chance they are in the final stage then?
No, they are in the beginning. The background is always "in process" with the new tracker as far as I know. Even with applications that just got the AOR it already shows background in progress. I better way for you to see is through the Gckey tracker, over there when it says background in progress it means that it is actually in progress.