+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How likely is to get LMIA for a web development job (NOC: 2175)?

mithunio

Star Member
Aug 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm so optimistic that I will soon be a Permanent Resident of Canada. But one thing worries me a lot: LMIA supported job offer! Can anyone please advice me how likely is to get that? I know it's not that easy! But I want to know how often IT employees are getting a job while they are in the Express Entry pool.

Please do reply! Thanks in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Assuming there is zero chance you will get a job offer if you just sit in the Express Entry pool and wait. You need to be applying to jobs proactively if you want any hope of securing an LMIA.

mithunio

Star Member
Aug 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks, scylla, for the reply!

I too had a same thought. I don't want to blindly hope for LMIA supported job while sitting in the pool. I haven't applied for EE yet. I'm thinking to search jobs in JobBank, ca.indeed.com and monster.ca before doing that.

My question is, will the employers be interested to interview a guy who haven't gotten the PR yet? Have you heard of anyone who was lucky enough to be interviewed from an employer even before securing a PR?

Please do reply. Thanks in advance!

anarsoul

Jul 12, 2014
mithunio said:
My question is, will the employers be interested to interview a guy who haven't gotten the PR yet? Have you heard of anyone who was lucky enough to be interviewed from an employer even before securing a PR?
Honestly speaking, I have not heard about any web developers hired from abroad. Process is too complicated for majority of employers and overall processing time (LMIA + EE) is more than 6 month. No one is going wait for you that long.

My employer got an LMIA for me back in January, but my NOC is 2173, and my speciality is quite rare - I'm a Linux kernel developer.

But anyway, good luck!

mithunio

Star Member
Aug 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks, anarsoul!

But what about temporary work permit? I am thinking to work temporarily in Canada for 1 or 2 years and then apply for EE using CEC. Is it even possible for a person outside Canada seeking a job with work permit?

PS: My skills are JavaScript development. Since JavaScript technology is just starting out, the number of skilled JavaScript developers are low.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mithunio said:
Thanks, anarsoul!

But what about temporary work permit? I am thinking to work temporarily in Canada for 1 or 2 years and then apply for EE using CEC. Is it even possible for a person outside Canada seeking a job with work permit?

PS: My skills are JavaScript development. Since JavaScript technology is just starting out, the number of skilled JavaScript developers are low.
A temporary work permit requires an employer to obtain an LMIA. Read about what that entails for an employer below, then consider whether you think that might happen for you:
http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/foreign_workers/higher_skilled/permanent/index.shtml

Are your skills such that an employer would be unable to find a CDN citizen or PR to do the job?

Unfortunately, and generally speaking, unless you have highly-in-demand & hard to find skills, an application from outside Canada will probably be binned before it's even read :(.

mithunio

Star Member
Aug 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the reply, Lammawitch!

Well, this is so disappointing! :( I'm so scared of the word "LMIA". :mad: I have learned from many sources that getting an LMIA for IT based jobs are very difficult.

Thanks again for your answers, anyway!

anarsoul

Jul 12, 2014
mithunio said:
Since JavaScript technology is just starting out, the number of skilled JavaScript developers are low.
Man, are you kidding? Pretty every site uses javascript on client-side (press F12 or whatever in your favorite browser to ensure that this forum uses js), there's server-side node.js, one can use JS as scripting language for Unity3D-based games...

Of course, there's demand for JS devs, but it's not true that this technology is just starting out or number of JS devs is low.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mithunio said:
Thanks for the reply, Lammawitch!

Well, this is so disappointing! :( I'm so scared of the word "LMIA". :mad: I have learned from many sources that getting an LMIA for IT based jobs are very difficult.

Thanks again for your answers, anyway!
You shouldn't be scared, rather research thoroughly to understand the possibilities and obstacles!

lolrofl

May 5, 2013
anarsoul said:
Man, are you kidding? Pretty every site uses javascript on client-side (press F12 or whatever in your favorite browser to ensure that this forum uses js), there's server-side node.js, one can use JS as scripting language for Unity3D-based games...

Of course, there's demand for JS devs, but it's not true that this technology is just starting out or number of JS devs is low.
True. In fact, every other fresh developer comes in with some experience in various JS frameworks. I think what @mithunio probably meant to say was that the number of good JS developers (like any other language) is low.