+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how it is less complicated to extend my stay?

nialoira

Apr 20, 2014
Hi everyone,

First I will like to thank you for the time you give me here and for your advise on my situation. Time when by I am doubtful about how it is less complicated to extend my stay?

I have some questions before applying to extend or change the conditions of my stay in Canada. So I will summarize my story here: I am in Canada under a multiple entry visitor visa valid until Nov, 2015. I am living with my partner (canadian citizen, student with loans) already 5 months (my six months are due May 12th, 2014). I will like to stay longer without having to get get common-law. Since I not longer have 30 days before my status expires, I wonder if it will be best to apply to restore my status or to cross to the U.S and hope I am lucky and get another six months. Chances are 1. I get less than 30 days and I will still need to restore my status, which by the way, does anyone know if restoration of status is a "bad" beginning if I will eventually want to get married and apply for residency here. And 2. I get another 6 months, enough time to figure if I want to become a student again, be entrepreneur..or if we want to get married! So exacting..but not yet.

Hey so what would you advise is best to preserve a good reputation too.

I also thought of the possibility to apply for residency under a program that required qualified workers. I have a Master degree.

I also plan to import cocoa from my home country. So then also, does anyone knows information on that too, much appreciated. :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

CIC recommends applying 30 days before expiry but it's not a rule; you can apply to extend your stay up until the day before your current status expires, so you have up until May 11th to submit your extension app.

I suggest you apply to extend your status as soon as you can. Restoration does NOT apply in your situation.

nialoira

Apr 20, 2014
Thanks for the suggestion. I read in the official website that its required to apply for extension 30 days before. In fact I had all documents and applications form ready by April 12, but I had a last minute problem while paying online so I couldn't submitted it. Thats why I am thinking to "flagpoling" assuming there will be no reason not to let me back in since I have a multiple entry visa.

Do anyone has a successful story applying for extension AFTER the mentioned 30 days...or does anybody will be willing to share a flagpoling experience?

Thanks for the advise again.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
nialoira said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I read in the official website that its required to apply for extension 30 days before. In fact I had all documents and applications form ready by April 12, but I had a last minute problem while paying online so I couldn't submitted it. Thats why I am thinking to "flagpoling" assuming there will be no reason not to let me back in since I have a multiple entry visa.

Do anyone has a successful story applying for extension AFTER the mentioned 30 days...or does anybody will be willing to share a flagpoling experience?
Nowhere on the CIC website does it say that a person is required to apply 30 days before. It's suggested and recommended but not required.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp - Check your temporary resident visa to make sure you apply before the expiry date. You should apply 30 days before your status expires

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op11-eng.pdf - OP 11 - Temporary Residents: A temporary resident must apply to extend their period of authorized stay before it ends

As I said, you have up until the day before your current status expires. Many people on this forum have done this. I strongly suggest you just submit your extension app now. Flagpoling is generally considered to be riskier than applying for an extension online.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Flagpoling is risky. Higher chance you won't get what you want. Apply to extend your stay from within Canada instead.