+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How is working experience of 3 years calculated?

jillrulesall

Oct 25, 2020
I have 3 full time working experiences:
A. 2016.7.15 - 2018.8.10
B. 2018.11.5 - 2019.4.11
C. 2020.7.1 - now

Since the system only takes to month, I'm already counted as 3 years experience now and reached a score might be invited any time. However counting days I know I'm not 3 years yet. May I ask how is the working experience calculated? And what date will I be officially counted as 3 years working experience?

jillrulesall

Oct 25, 2020
The exact date you reach three years matters. If you get an ITA before you have three years down to the day you should decline it.
Thanks for the quick response! Does that mean I should wait until I have 52 weeks * 3 of working duration to be counted as 3 years?
Also I read about IRCC will recalculate the score based on the date of eAPR (ref https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/years-of-working-experience-calculation.475738/), does that mean I can accept the invitation now and wait to submit my eAPR by the end of this year when I'm surely 3 years experience?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Yes, your work experience must be spread over at least 156 weeks, and no, you must have three years as of the date of the ITA, not just the date of the e-APR.

jillrulesall

Oct 25, 2020
Yes, your work experience must be spread over at least 156 weeks, and no, you must have three years as of the date of the ITA, not just the date of the e-APR.
Again thanks for the confirmation.
But I did read through: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/assessing-electronic-application-on-section-a11-2.html ,
and it requires candidate to meet minimum requirement by the time of ITA, and over the cut off score by the time of e-APR, which means I can accept the ITA and wait a couple weeks to submit my e-APR ?
Sorry if I'm struggling too much with the details. But I'm around the cutoff score and I feel insecure of the recent draws, so rejecting an invitation would be a huge pain for me. I want to secure my application ASAP.
Agains thanks for your time

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
You need to be over the cutoff score at the time of the ITA. Now, if you don't need the extra points from three years of work experience to be over the cutoff in your round, you can proceed with the e-APR, but if you only got the ITA on the basis of points for three years of work experience you weren't actually eligible to claim on that date, you need to decline the ITA.

jillrulesall

Oct 25, 2020
So here's a self-update:
I send a webform query to IRCC and thought they did not say it explicitly, it's not necessary to decline the ITA, and you need strong proof of your working status. My guess is the ref letter for you current job would be crucial since you reaching full 3 years experience strongly depends on your future in the current company.

So here's the short answer:
You don't have to decline the ITA, and you don't even have to wait till 3 years to submit your E-APR. However when the officer reviews your profile, your profile must be solid and strong in working experience proofs, especially the on going one.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
So here's a self-update:
I send a webform query to IRCC and thought they did not say it explicitly, it's not necessary to decline the ITA, and you need strong proof of your working status. My guess is the ref letter for you current job would be crucial since you reaching full 3 years experience strongly depends on your future in the current company.

So here's the short answer:
You don't have to decline the ITA, and you don't even have to wait till 3 years to submit your E-APR. However when the officer reviews your profile, your profile must be solid and strong in working experience proofs, especially the on going one.
No, see here:
Under section A11.2, an officer may not issue a visa to an applicant who did not or does not meet the Express Entry minimum entry criteria (MEC) or did not or does not possess the qualifications for which they received their CRS score at the time when
  • the invitation to apply (ITA) was issued; or
  • the e-APR was received by IRCC.
If you need points from X number of years of work experience to be above the cutoff score in your round of invitations, you cannot submit an e-APR if you did not actually have that many years as of the date of the ITA. It is very clear.

jillrulesall

Oct 25, 2020
No, see here:

If you need points from X number of years of work experience to be above the cutoff score in your round of invitations, you cannot submit an e-APR if you did not actually have that many years as of the date of the ITA. It is very clear.
it's
It's an OR. So candidate meets the score by e-APR is fine. What's required by the time of ITA is the minimum eligibility which is the 1 year contineuos working exp.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
it's
It's an OR. So candidate meets the score by e-APR is fine. What's required by the time of ITA is the minimum eligibility which is the 1 year contineuos working exp.
Yes, it's an "or," and because the sentence is negative ("may not issue a visa"), the "or" means that both conditions must be met.

Here is the sentence again:
An officer may not issue a visa to an applicant who...did not or does not possess the qualifications for which they received their CRS score at the time when the invitation to apply (ITA) was issued, or the e-APR was received by IRCC.
You must actually have X amount of work experience on both the ITA date and the e-APR date. If you don't have the work experience on either date—the ITA date or the e-APR date—the application must be refused under A11.2.