+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How is Saskatchewan ?

Voyager2014

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Folks,

I am waiting for the nomination of SINP. Can the experts out here in this forum or the SINP landed immigrants can share the experience of Saskatchewan. How good is Sask in terms of job opportunities, family life, raising kids, leisure activities etc.. ?

I also know the fact that Saks literally freeze :) :)

regards
V

number411

Jul 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are less people in this forum who are in SK and frequently visiting these days. They are the best ones to answer this question, but the thread would goto Page 3 or beyond when they log in, so I'll try to write what I've gathered.

There are 3 medium size cities, Saskatoon, Regina and Prince Albert. At first, I heard it is a cold and lonely place. The latter is because I was told finding people of one's own origin is difficult. For example, I am from a territory that has 60 million and a language that is spoken by about 100 million around the world. My friend in Calgary who had a friend in Stoon said they were the only family that spoke that native tongue and they couldn't locate any other companions in the 3 years they were there, so they relocated to Calgary.

EDIT: I was able to find an association of people from my country that has 600 members and conducts frequent get togethers.. So it may not be so lonely after all. I don't know why my acquaintance gave a bit negative feedback but that's how we get opinions sometimes.

The population is growing by 3% every year thanks to aggressive immigration but still there are hardly anyone outside town areas. Stoon has 260k people and others lesser.

I don't know about jobs or schools. But Calgary is a big city that's 1 hour by flight so if things go really bad one can go there for some fun because I heard Saskatoon can get boring. It is the government that runs most of the services so cost of living is lesser and quality of services for ex insurance are good. It is a small and relativey less expensive place.

I hope this helped.

jhugh84

Jan 29, 2015
Voyager2014 said:
Folks,

I am waiting for the nomination of SINP. Can the experts out here in this forum or the SINP landed immigrants can share the experience of Saskatchewan. How good is Sask in terms of job opportunities, family life, raising kids, leisure activities etc.. ?

regards
V
I haven't lived there but visited SK regularly for work. I would personally live in either Regina or Saskatoon if I were to live there - Prince Albert is a lot smaller and I have heard some interesting things about it from a couple of friends who are from the province.
These are smaller, quieter cities, around 200k people in each.

I haven't worked in Canada for around 8-9 months but the job market in Saskatchewan was the strongest in Canada, and had an unemployment rate lower than anywhere in the country (including Alberta before the O&G sector went downhill). Salaries are good there in professional occupations, and you tend to get more for your money there than some of the larger provinces (though it is getting more expensive). Saskatchewan is a giant field so you wont find much in terms of skiing and so forth, though Alberta is next door for that sort of thing.

If you are happy living in smaller cities with more a family feel (everyone knows everyone to a degree) then you'll like it there.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Why Saskatchewan is always windy? Because Alberta blows and Manitoba sucks.

Jiss

May 1, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13,2015
Doc's Request.
Nov 9,2015
AOR Received.
July 8,2015
Med's Request
Received
Med's Done....
April 20, 2015
Passport Req..
Jan 29,2016
Voyager2014 said:
Folks,

regards
V

I live in SK for a few years now and I had been to most of the cities here..Basically its all farmland.. very quiet....the major cities like Saskatoon and Regina are not listed in the first 15 in Canada..Most of the places are under populated and developing..
Job opportunities -it depends on your profession..SK always seek skilled professionals in healthcare, agri, mining etc...Since there are not much business and industries, it would not be very easy to find ur preferred job in every location...on the other hand, the comparative remuneration is high with nearby provinces and it could go higher if u r willing to move to remote locations..
Family and kids - Life is okay if u r in a city..weather can go extreme sometimes...but winters r mild for the past couple of years..some areas of saskatoon and prince albert has higher crime incident rates (mostly down towns and the first nation colonies)..life expense is comparatively low...the government is supportive to immigrants and new entrepreneurs..health facilities are average..
leisure activities -there are not many tourist destinations in the province..go out of province for vacations..if u interested in hunting,fishing etc..u will enjoy a lot..u may find people of own community in big cities only...a significant presence of immigrants from India, Philipines and Pakisthan can be found in some places..

andy108

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2015
Australia
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
**-09-2017
Very! useful topic - thank you very much.

I am myself thinking which province to go for... so good to know.

Just to share, my colleagues got a job in Saskatoon as ABAP developers - one got a job and helped another to join the team. So there are somewhat a market for SAP there, not sure how big.

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
If you could post links for jobs/any known recruiters would be really helpful.
I hear people get jobs through networking alot.

Voyager2014

Star Member
May 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Folks

Any more thoughts or suggestions ?

These kind of discussions really help us like SINP nominees

Regards

PiyushAgrawal06121985

Oct 20, 2015
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2015
Nomination.....
10-02-2016
AOR Received.
14-03-2016
Med's Request
None
Med's Done....
20-02-2016
I have a very close friend in Calgary and she landed there last year. She was able to find a job fairly quickly (in 6 weeks).

She told me that IT jobs are fairly easy to find in Calgary (Java, C++, .Net). However, she did mention that the weather does take some getting used to.

PS: I have not applied for SINP but am waiting for a decision on OINP.

EDIT: I am adding to this thread even though its not for Saskatchewan, hoping it would help atleast some reader :)

number411

Jul 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PiyushAgrawal06121985 said:
I have a very close friend in Calgary and she landed there last year. She was able to find a job fairly quickly (in 6 weeks).

She told me that IT jobs are fairly easy to find in Calgary (Java, C++, .Net). However, she did mention that the weather does take some getting used to.

PS: I have not applied for SINP but am waiting for a decision on OINP.

EDIT: I am adding to this thread even though its not for Saskatchewan, hoping it would help atleast some reader :)
It does help, thanks.

SRJASON

Star Member
Nov 2, 2016
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-09-2016
AOR Received.
26-10-2016
Jiss said:
I live in SK for a few years now and I had been to most of the cities here..Basically its all farmland.. very quiet....the major cities like Saskatoon and Regina are not listed in the first 15 in Canada..Most of the places are under populated and developing..
Job opportunities -it depends on your profession..SK always seek skilled professionals in healthcare, agri, mining etc...Since there are not much business and industries, it would not be very easy to find ur preferred job in every location...on the other hand, the comparative remuneration is high with nearby provinces and it could go higher if u r willing to move to remote locations..
Family and kids - Life is okay if u r in a city..weather can go extreme sometimes...but winters r mild for the past couple of years..some areas of saskatoon and prince albert has higher crime incident rates (mostly down towns and the first nation colonies)..life expense is comparatively low...the government is supportive to immigrants and new entrepreneurs..health facilities are average..
leisure activities -there are not many tourist destinations in the province..go out of province for vacations..if u interested in hunting,fishing etc..u will enjoy a lot..u may find people of own community in big cities only...a significant presence of immigrants from India, Philipines and Pakisthan can be found in some places..

How about the weather in SK (especially during winter)?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
SRJASON said:
How about the weather in SK (especially during winter)?
As difficult as it is to pronounce

(This year is an anomaly)