+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How Indian divorce settlement affect Canadian citizenship

johnchris342

Oct 15, 2019
Guys,

I am eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship. As i am filling the application form, I came across Point 16 and question 8:

Been convicted of an offence outside Canada, regardless of whether you were pardoned or otherwise granted amnesty for the offence

I got married when I became PR and I did not sponsor her. Things did not work for us, so we decided to call ti off. So, it ended with a mutual settlement and my ex-wife filed for divorce in court on mutual ground. Do i have to declare that in my application and mark the answer as Yes. Because there are no cases filed.

Appreciate your help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Guys,

I am eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship. As i am filling the application form, I came across Point 16 and question 8:

Been convicted of an offence outside Canada, regardless of whether you were pardoned or otherwise granted amnesty for the offence

I got married when I became PR and I did not sponsor her. Things did not work for us, so we decided to call ti off. So, it ended with a mutual settlement and my ex-wife filed for divorce in court on mutual ground. Do i have to declare that in my application and mark the answer as Yes. Because there are no cases filed.

Appreciate your help.
1. No, it is a civil matter, not a criminal offense

Reactions: johnchris342