+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How I found my first job in Canada

alzs-

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I decided to share my job searching experience in the hopes that it may help others, as this forum was so helpful when I moved to Canada a bit over 2 years ago. Just don’t DM me as I don’t come here often.

What worked for me, may not work for you. But it might as well be worth the try!

What helped
I’m well educated: I have an Engineering degree from my country and an MBA from the US. I’m fluent in English. I have almost 20 years of work experience, many of those managing large teams. I’ve worked for multinational companies.

What was not in my favour
I had no Canadian experience nor did I know ANYONE in the sector I had lots of experience in. I am not specialized in anything: I’ve worked in finance, marketing, business development, product management, strategy, etc – this means that those softwares screening CVs would never find the volume of keywords they were likely looking for. It had been maybe 10 years since I last had an interview, so I was quite rusted!

What I did

Network:
First, I went through my Linkedin and started digging through my contacts, trying to find people who could introduce me to professionals in Canada in my sector. I was able to connect to some nice people and get some insights of the industry. They referred me to some jobs, but I was getting NO interviews. I don’t honestly know whether those referrals made through forms (not personal) do make a difference.
Then I started looking for director level people in some companies in my sector, and started sending them emails introducing myself and asking for coffee or a phone chat (for those not in Toronto). Those emails were not targeting a specific opening, I just wanted to make connections. Out of dozens of emails, I got a few replies and one phone chat. That was a great eye-opening opportunity, it was when I realized how rusty I was! I’m sure the caller was unimpressed with me. I knew I had to change my game (see the 'practice' part).

CV and cover letter: Evaluate if your CV is well written and in more or less Canadian standards. Try, when possible, to tailor it to the position you are applying. Make sure the keywords you see on the job posting appear in your CV. Put time and thought into writing your cover letter. In my country we don’t use cover letters, so I found it painful and hard to write them. At the beginning I must say my CLs were pretty sloppy. I did a 2-hour course at YMCA on cover letters, and while it was quite basic, it pushed me to improve. After a lot of practice, it became easier to write them, and at some point I had so many written that I could lift and shift entire sections depending on which characteristics I wanted to highlight in my past experience.

Reach out to the hiring manager: That was what ULTIMATELY worked for me. For any position I applied for, I tried to identify the hiring manager (not HR). I tried to find what the title of the manager was and googled for him. Most companies' email standard is name.lastname@company.com. I would send an email with a succinct but powerful introduction, and ask for a chat to better discuss the position. I’m now on my second job in Canada and both of them I found this way (skipping HR entirely). ALL interviews I got in Canada happened because I reached out to the responsible.

Practice: Find a friend or family member to PRACTICE for your interview. I would print the job description, look for main keywords and think ‘how can I sell my past experience to match this’ - while making notes. So instead of listing responsibilities and accomplishments in each job, I would focus on things that would resonate with the interviewer for that position, which may not be the most relevant thing you did! I would say things out loud to see how they sounded, and do mock interviews with my husband.

Do the homework: while I don’t think you need to study a company’s balance sheet, it’s good that you study a bit about the company or the business unit within the company you are applying for. It will cause a good first impression and you'll be able to ask more interesting questions.

Follow-up: after an interview, don’t be afraid to follow up! Some people like to send immediately a note thanking for the interview. I’d rather wait for a week or two and then reach out if I hadn’t heard back.

Be humble: Don’t be embarrassed or afraid of taking steps back. I am a senior manager here, and while it’s the same title I had back home, it clearly means less in Canada, so I have a lot less responsibility and scope that I was used to. I used to manage large teams, and my direct reports were also people managers. Here I have 1 report (I had none when I fist started). So it’s a different reality – with large teams I would spend most time managing my teams’ work and offering direction, here I produce as much as an individual contributor, as managing one person only doesn’t take much time.

Be prepared for NOs and indifference: I sent so many emails while job hunting, and most never got a reply. Even some follow up emails after interviews were never answered – unfortunately not everyone is considerate with applicants. Don't take it personally and don't let if affect your self-esteem!

What worked for me, may not work for you, but I hope some of the tips can help you. I was hired in a sector I had no previous experience at after 4 months of job-searching.

Good luck on your job-hunting journey!

winterisnotcoming

Star Member
Mar 30, 2019
Hi, I decided to share my job searching experience in the hopes that it may help others, as this forum was so helpful when I moved to Canada a bit over 2 years ago. Just don’t DM me as I don’t come here often.

What worked for me, may not work for you. But it might as well be worth the try!

What helped
I’m well educated: I have an Engineering degree from my country and an MBA from the US. I’m fluent in English. I have almost 20 years of work experience, many of those managing large teams. I’ve worked for multinational companies.

I had no Canadian experience nor did I know ANYONE in the sector I had lots of experience in. I am not specialized in anything: I’ve worked in finance, marketing, business development, product management, strategy, etc – this means that those softwares screening CVs would never find the volume of keywords they were likely looking for. It had been maybe 10 years since I last had an interview, so I was quite rusted!

What I did

Network:
First, I went through my Linkedin and started digging through my contacts, trying to find people who could introduce me to professionals in Canada in my sector. I was able to connect to some nice people and get some insights of the industry. They referred me to some jobs, but I was getting NO interviews. I don’t honestly know whether those referrals made through forms (not personal) do make a difference.
Then I started looking for director level people in some companies in my sector, and started sending them emails introducing myself and asking for coffee or a phone chat (for those not in Toronto). Those emails were not targeting a specific opening, I just wanted to make connections. Out of dozens of emails, I got a few replies and one phone chat. That was a great eye-opening opportunity, it was when I realized how rusty I was! I’m sure the caller was unimpressed with me. I knew I had to change my game (see the 'practice' part).

CV and cover letter: Evaluate if your CV is well written and in more or less Canadian standards. Try, when possible, to tailor it to the position you are applying. Make sure the keywords you see on the job posting appear in your CV. Put time and thought into writing your cover letter. In my country we don’t use cover letters, so I found it painful and hard to write them. At the beginning I must say my CLs were pretty sloppy. I did a 2-hour course at YMCA on cover letters, and while it was quite basic, it pushed me to improve. After a lot of practice, it became easier to write them, and at some point I had so many written that I could lift and shift entire sections depending on which characteristics I wanted to highlight in my past experience.

Reach out to the hiring manager: That was what ULTIMATELY worked for me. For any position I applied for, I tried to identify the hiring manager (not HR). I tried to find what the title of the manager was and googled for him. Most companies' email standard is name.lastname@company.com. I would send an email with a succinct but powerful introduction, and ask for a chat to better discuss the position. I’m now on my second job in Canada and both of them I found this way (skipping HR entirely). ALL interviews I got in Canada happened because I reached out to the responsible.

Practice: Find a friend or family member to PRACTICE for your interview. I would print the job description, look for main keywords and think ‘how can I sell my past experience to match this’ - while making notes. So instead of listing responsibilities and accomplishments in each job, I would focus on things that would resonate with the interviewer for that position, which may not be the most relevant thing you did! I would say things out loud to see how they sounded, and do mock interviews with my husband.

Do the homework: while I don’t think you need to study a company’s balance sheet, it’s good that you study a bit about the company or the business unit within the company you are applying for. It will cause a good first impression and you'll be able to ask more interesting questions.

Follow-up: after an interview, don’t be afraid to follow up! Some people like to send immediately a note thanking for the interview. I’d rather wait for a week or two and then reach out if I hadn’t heard back.

Be humble: Don’t be embarrassed or afraid of taking steps back. I am a senior manager here, and while it’s the same title I had back home, it clearly means less in Canada, so I have a lot less responsibility and scope that I was used to. I used to manage large teams, and my direct reports were also people managers. Here I have 1 report (I had none when I fist started). So it’s a different reality – with large teams I would spend most time managing my teams’ work and offering direction, here I produce as much as an individual contributor, as managing one person only doesn’t take much time.

Be prepared for NOs and indifference: I sent so many emails while job hunting, and most never got a reply. Even some follow up emails after interviews were never answered – unfortunately not everyone is considerate with applicants. Don't take it personally and don't let if affect your self-esteem!

What worked for me, may not work for you, but I hope some of the tips can help you. I was hired in a sector I had no previous experience at after 4 months of job-searching.

Thanks for the write-up. Question: How do you find who is the hiring manager for a job opening? And did you have success with the job sites to find openings?

alzs-

Star Member
Mar 15, 2017
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the write-up. Question: How do you find who is the hiring manager for a job opening? And did you have success with the job sites to find openings?
Hi,
I used mainly LinkedIn to search for jobs. I would read through the description to see if there is something like "reporting to the director of XYZ". If there was not, I would assume it was one level up with a similar title - say I was seeing the position of Sr Manager of ABC, then I would assume it would report to the Director of ABC or AVP of ABC.

LinkedIn has a feature that you can search for people based on company and job title, without a name. I would start there. If I had no hits I'd try google. If I had multiple hits and was not particularly sure who was the hiring manager, I would still write, but saying something like "it seems that this position reports to you". I once got a reply back saying it was not on their area, but a peer's and that they would forward my email to the correct hiring manager.

Just don't get discouraged when people don't answer. Most don't!

winterisnotcoming

Star Member
Mar 30, 2019
Hi,
I used mainly LinkedIn to search for jobs. I would read through the description to see if there is something like "reporting to the director of XYZ". If there was not, I would assume it was one level up with a similar title - say I was seeing the position of Sr Manager of ABC, then I would assume it would report to the Director of ABC or AVP of ABC.

LinkedIn has a feature that you can search for people based on company and job title, without a name. I would start there. If I had no hits I'd try google. If I had multiple hits and was not particularly sure who was the hiring manager, I would still write, but saying something like "it seems that this position reports to you". I once got a reply back saying it was not on their area, but a peer's and that they would forward my email to the correct hiring manager.

Just don't get discouraged when people don't answer. Most don't!
Fantastic. Thanks very much for writing up again!

narayan55

Star Member
Aug 13, 2010
I have finished MBAISP with finance from Brock university Canada and applied for PGOWP for 3 years .Right now I am doing survival job in st. catharines Ontario. Please help to guide for suitable job. I am applying regularly and attending interviews also but up till all no no. please guide

nickgrizzly

Star Member
May 16, 2022
BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Calgary, Montreal
Med's Request
09-05-2023
Med's Done....
10-05-2023
LANDED..........
08-06-2023

What helped

What I did

Network:

Great post, always good to read first-hand experiences.

Jun 24, 2022
I did the pretty the same steps as you, but this information will be useful for people just starting here in Canada. The first thing I did when I arrived was I started searching for easy side hustles jobs in Toronto. The good thing about this kind of job is that they don't require any papers, so you will have additional money when translating or making your official papers in Canada. Another good thing is that you don't need to pay taxes for most of them, so this is very helpful, especially when you need money.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I did the pretty the same steps as you, but this information will be useful for people just starting here in Canada. The first thing I did when I arrived was I started searching for easy side hustles jobs in Toronto. The good thing about this kind of job is that they don't require any papers, so you will have additional money when translating or making your official papers in Canada. Another good thing is that you don't need to pay taxes for most of them, so this is very helpful, especially when you need money.
Do you mean working illegally, get paid by cash and commit tax fraud?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is all incorrect information which not only is illegal but could create problems getting a valid WP or PR in the future. There are no cash jobs in Canada where you don’t have to pay taxes. If you chose not to pay taxes on a cash job you are committing tax fraud. For any job in Canada you should be required to show that you can legally work in Canada.

Reactions: Esteem123

Esteem123

Jun 29, 2022
This is all incorrect information which not only is illegal but could create problems getting a valid WP or PR in the future. There are no cash jobs in Canada where you don’t have to pay taxes. If you chose not to pay taxes on a cash job you are committing tax fraud. For any job in Canada you should be required to show that you can legally work in Canada.
Please I'm new here I want someone who will direct me on what to do

GandiBaat

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2014
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
26th September 2021
Doc's Request.
Old Medical
Nomination.....
None
AOR Received.
26th September 2021
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
11-01-2022
Med's Request
Not Applicable, Old Meds
Med's Done....
Old Medical
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
22-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2022
LANDED..........
24-02-2022
Hi! If you are new here, I suppose you mean you are NOT in Canada. You need to file an application for permanent residence in Canada first to be able to legally migrate to Canada. That being said, due to a Canadian immigration being stopped for 9 months there is an accumulation of highly skilled people. You may be behind lot of them. Also, Canadian immigration is fundamentally changing from next year or so. You may want to know in the new system where will you stand and how much eligible for immigration you will be.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You need to spend some time reading the Canadian government immigration website. Anyone promising you faster or easier immigration to Canada for a fee is likely scamming you out of your money. How easy it will be to immigrate will depend on your education and job history and your savings.

Aug 28, 2022
Nigeria
Can you please help me get a job too... I don't mind any kinda job