+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How hard is it to convert an open work permit into regular work permit

erencie

Apr 10, 2013
Just want to know if anyone has experience (or know about) converting an Open Work Permit into a regular Work Permit. Is it hard?

My husband is currently working on a skilled job of NOC A category. He's currently holding a open work permit for spouse of international students---that is, I am the international student here.

Since currently his work visa is dependent on my study permit, I'm thinking of letting him to go "independent" on his own so that my graduation or whatsoever changes in my study permit will not affect him. Any opinions?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sure - you can do that if you want. There is certainly some work involved to do this and involvement from his employer is needed.

Your husband's employer will first need to obtain an approved Labour Market Opinion (LMO). To obtain the approval, the employer will have to advertise his job for a minimum of one fully month to prove that no Canadians could be hired for the role. Once the advertising requirement has been met, the employer will have to submit the LMO application and pay the fee (I believe it's $275). I believe processing time is around 2 months. Assuming the LMO is approved (not all are), your husband can then apply for a closed work permit.

erencie

Apr 10, 2013
Thanks...For the advertisement requirement, how can an employer prove so when the foreigner is already working on that position? Re-post the position again on job hunting website and test whether there's a better Canadian candidate who can replace him? ::) Well I'm just wondering how they are going to prove that they indeed try to look for a local worker for one month and still can't find one...