+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How good is architecture bridging programs for architecture professionals

sid_90

Jul 21, 2019
I have found out that ones in Toronto is conducted by JVS Toronto and Humber college( for 500 and 3000 Cad) respectively.

I was wondering if investing that kind of money would be beneficial for landing jobs or preparing yourself for Canadian work culture, etc.

What are the chances of finding jobs without these programs specially during winter. With these programs I might also have to take survival jobs till the course ends which takes about 3.5 months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have found out that ones in Toronto is conducted by JVS Toronto and Humber college( for 500 and 3000 Cad) respectively.

I was wondering if investing that kind of money would be beneficial for landing jobs or preparing yourself for Canadian work culture, etc.

What are the chances of finding jobs without these programs specially during winter. With these programs I might also have to take survival jobs till the course ends which takes about 3.5 months.
Would really look into whether there are architecture jobs available these days. I’m not an architect but I was under the impression that it is quite hard these days to get a job as an architect in Canada and that many graduate end up moving to different fields.. Things like planned communities, where you have the choice of a few style homes for a huge community, has eliminated a lot of jobs. Not sure where you are living currently but especially if you have a good job you really need to be speaking to architects in Canada and ask them about the job market. I would try to contact people via email or Linkedin and ask about availability of jobs and how hard it may be getting a job with your qualifications.

sid_90

Jul 21, 2019
Would really look into whether there are architecture jobs available these days. I’m not an architect but I was under the impression that it is quite hard these days to get a job as an architect in Canada and that many graduate end up moving to different fields.. Things like planned communities, where you have the choice of a few style homes for a huge community, has eliminated a lot of jobs. Not sure where you are living currently but especially if you have a good job you really need to be speaking to architects in Canada and ask them about the job market. I would try to contact people via email or Linkedin and ask about availability of jobs and how hard it may be getting a job with your qualifications.
Thanks for the response @canuk78

Yes, I am actually in touch with a few who are in similar situations like I am. But it seems that the jobs are available but for an immigrant to get into the market is apparently quiet hard without any Canadian experience.

Since I cannot create canadian experience without working there, the best options as advised by them were to do volunteer jobs or to keep trying till you get some job related to it as mentioned by you.

That’s the reason why I wanted to know if bridging programs were of any help or if there was a less expensive way.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the response @canuk78

Yes, I am actually in touch with a few who are in similar situations like I am. But it seems that the jobs are available but for an immigrant to get into the market is apparently quiet hard without any Canadian experience.

Since I cannot create canadian experience without working there, the best options as advised by them were to do volunteer jobs or to keep trying till you get some job related to it as mentioned by you.

That’s the reason why I wanted to know if bridging programs were of any help or if there was a less expensive way.
Have you reached out to larger architecture firms or freelancers about the current environment, yearly hiring, ability to make a living as an independent or small firm, etc. In general would they recommend that someone start working as an architect these days. It really depends on from you are coming from. If you have worked in some large international firm you may be able to get a job easily. You have to evaluate what you are doing now and if it makes sense to move.

Reactions: sid_90

sid_90

Jul 21, 2019
Have you reached out to larger architecture firms or freelancers about the current environment, yearly hiring, ability to make a living as an independent or small firm, etc. In general would they recommend that someone start working as an architect these days. It really depends on from you are coming from. If you have worked in some large international firm you may be able to get a job easily. You have to evaluate what you are doing now and if it makes sense to move.
Sure.. I will try that... I have not worked in Large MNCs but would have been a bonus if I did. But before I reach out to companies that I am interested to work for, I want be make sure I am physically present in Canada.

Btw, I have become a PR recently from India and have been working here for about 3 years. I have no choice but to move there as it has been a 2 year long process and evaluation to whether to move or not may not be feasible for me now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sure.. I will try that... I have not worked in Large MNCs but would have been a bonus if I did. But before I reach out to companies that I am interested to work for, I want be make sure I am physically present in Canada.

Btw, I have become a PR recently from India and have been working here for about 3 years. I have no choice but to move there as it has been a 2 year long process and evaluation to whether to move or not may not be feasible for me now.
Did you not do any research about whether you will have a better life in Canada or be able to get a job somewhat in your field? It no longer makes sense for everyone to move to Canada. Their lifestyle and savings maybe be much better in India. Wish people would do more research, talk to employers about availability of jobs, etc. especially if they are professionals in their own country.