+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How fast can you apply for passport after completing oath?

Tjam3

Feb 10, 2013
Hi,

Tried searching but couldn't find an answer and am hoping someone here can help with a simple question.

If I am completing my oath on Monday and received my citizenship certificate, can I apply for a passport in-person the following day? Or is there a certain time limit I have to wait before I can apply for a passport?

EDIT: If I am living abroad at the moment and need to return back abroad on Friday in the example above, am I eligible for in-person urgent processing if I have my itinerary?

regards

samreentariq

Jan 8, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2011
Doc's Request.
-
Nomination.....
05-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-02-2012
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
28-05-2012
Med's Request
06-08-2012
Med's Done....
17-08-2012
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
15-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
-
LANDED..........
07-10-2012
At the oath ceremony I believe they ask you to wait 3 days as it takes them some time after the oath ceremony is over to enter the information into the system which is then referenced when you apply for a passport.

yukon

Apr 6, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is an excerpt from the cic website under CIC Publications & Manuals-Citizenship ceremonies and promotion-Oath of citizenship-Entering ceremony results into GCMS:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/cit/ceremony/oath.asp

Ceremony results must be logged into GCMS within two business days following the citizenship ceremony for validation of the citizenship certificate by our partners.

When travelling to remote areas, local offices are requested to enter ceremony results in GCMS in the same timeframe, either via VPN or by contacting a colleague in the local office.

If clients have an urgent need to travel, Passport Canada can request manual validation with CPC-S.

The entering of the results should not be postponed because the local office holds a new citizen’s citizenship certificate until the Permanent Resident Card has been returned or because it is discovered that the Oath of Citizenship form has not been signed. In both cases, the person is a Canadian citizen and the citizenship certificate is valid.

So basically for Passport Canada to verify the authenticity of the Citizenship Certificate it should exist in the GCMS. Usually CIC staff enter the information the next business day after the ceremony, just to be on the safe side they recommend 2-3 business days-just in case they get delayed in entering the results. Also if you have urgent travel need, as per the manual you can request Passport Canada for manual validation with CPC.

abdul560

Star Member
Jun 21, 2014
ALBERTA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi all
need your help answering this question pls :
i will apply for passport at edmonton office , my guarantor lives in edmonton but my 2 references live in another province where i used to live .
is this gonna be an issue ?
thanks in advance

mehtapr

Star Member
Jul 2, 2014
abdul560 said:
hi all
need your help answering this question pls :
i will apply for passport at edmonton office , my guarantor lives in edmonton but my 2 references live in another province where i used to live .
is this gonna be an issue ?
thanks in advance
They dont care where references live , although recommend they are in same country to make things faster. For references, you don't even need their signatures so just add names and other details. (cannot be close family)

abdul560

Star Member
Jun 21, 2014
ALBERTA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mehtapr said:
They dont care where references live , although recommend they are in same country to make things faster. For references, you don't even need their signatures so just add names and other details. (cannot be close family)
thank you for your reponse