+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How easy to get jobs in Finance / Quants ?

blahblah42

Feb 6, 2020
Hello everyone,

I was wondering how easy it would be to get a job in entry to senior to lead level roles in Finance / quants in Canada ? What would be a decent salary one could expect in the said roles ? Please share your experiences?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
The answer of course depends on your background and networking abilities. Newcomers often have a hard time breaking through the "Canadian experience" barrier. Salary will depend on location; Toronto naturally has the largest/best job market in finance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

I was wondering how easy it would be to get a job in entry to senior to lead level roles in Finance / quants in Canada ? What would be a decent salary one could expect in the said roles ? Please share your experiences?
Jobs are tough to get because Canada is a small market and you have so many people moving away or returning to Canada from London and HK at the moment. There are lots of skilled immigrants who have worked in finance in their home country or other countries. There are Canadians returning to Canada fromNYC when they have children and a Canadians who never left. Canada is a small market that can only absorb so many people. If you have a well paying job and good lifestyle I would think twice about immigrating.

blahblah42

Feb 6, 2020
The answer of course depends on your background and networking abilities. Newcomers often have a hard time breaking through the "Canadian experience" barrier. Salary will depend on location; Toronto naturally has the largest/best job market in finance.
Thanks for the reply. By 'Canadian experience' do you mean any Canadian experience or related to finance only? if I get work in some some unskilled / semi skilled work, will that count?

Jobs are tough to get because Canada is a small market and you have so many people moving away or returning to Canada from London and HK at the moment. There are lots of skilled immigrants who have worked in finance in their home country or other countries. There are Canadians returning to Canada fromNYC when they have children and a Canadians who never left. Canada is a small market that can only absorb so many people. If you have a well paying job and good lifestyle I would think twice about immigrating.
Thanks.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Thanks for the reply. By 'Canadian experience' do you mean any Canadian experience or related to finance only? if I get work in some some unskilled / semi skilled work, will that count?

Thanks.
Experience in your field is always preferable, but something semi-skilled can help. Often they just want to see that you've worked in a Canadian environment before (with respect to things like reliably showing up on time, getting along with your coworkers, taking orders, etc.)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone,

If this was pre-COVID-19, I would say that yes, banks are looking for qualified quants - specifically those with PhDs. I would say harder to find a senior / lead role in Finance.

Now that COVID-19 has hit, it's quite a bit more difficult to say. Many of the banks have hiring freezes on right now or are only permitting roles to be filled by individuals already working for the organization (i.e. internal movement). It's super hard to say right now. However certainly more difficult than it was 6-8 months ago.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you have a senior finance role you should only be moving if you have firm leads on the job front or potential job offer especially if you have a good stable well paid job elsewhere. If you are moving for other reasons than job security that’s different. Finance jobs are much better paid elsewhere.