+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How does this plan sound?

Apr 21, 2019
Hi everyone. I will try to make this as short as possible.

Lived in the UK for two years with my boyfriend. Went back to visit him for two, six-month stints. He came to visit Canada (his first trip ever with an eta) in July 2018.

We are looking to do an inland spousal sponsor as I don’t think we have the supporting documents to do common law.

He is sending his police certificate away this week, as I believe there will be things that show up that he didn’t remember at the time of creating his eta. He has done a pitch invasion (which I’m not sure is even an offence in Canada?) as well as an assault no charge. He has stayed the night but never been to court as far as I know. These are all 10+ years ago.

So the plan is: get police certificate. Apply for new eta with accurate criminal background if anything shows up. Get married in Canada. Apply for inland sponsorship.

Does anyone see any potential hiccups with this plan? Can he apply for rehabilitation (if needed) from within Canada? Or does it have to be done prior to his eta?

Thanks a bunch!!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If he's inadmissible based on the charges (he may not be, I don't know if anything other than the assault may mount to an issue) then there's a hiccup. Hopefully this won't happen.

Apr 21, 2019
If he's inadmissible based on the charges (he may not be, I don't know if anything other than the assault may mount to an issue) then there's a hiccup. Hopefully this won't happen.
As far as I know, anything that happened (from what he remembers) was 10+ years ago, under the age of 18, and was “released no charge”. His memory is legitimately terrible, so the police report is what we need to move forward. Thanks for your insight.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
We are looking to do an inland spousal sponsor as I don’t think we have the supporting documents to do common law.
If you have no supporting documents for common-law, how do you plan to apply for sponsorship? Are you getting married?

Apr 21, 2019
The supporting documents are staggered and not very consistent as we were living in a house share for a large portion of time with no bills besides a rental agreement.

Sorry to revive an old post. I’ve done some reading and I know the ETA is linked to his passport. I’ve read that if you go to reapply it says that one already exists? Is there a way to cancel an existing one? Thank you!