+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How does spouse temporarily changing resident status affect application?

Verlin

Jun 10, 2021
I've received an ITA for CEC inland and have until early Sept 5 to apply for PR. I'm the primary applicant but my spouse, who is currently in Canada on a student visa, is included in the app. The problem is that my spouse's student visa expires at the end of Aug, a few days before I have to apply, and she's having issues getting the documents neccesary to extend the visa.

If she doesn't she will have to go back to her home country temporarily before the visa expires and wait until the paperwork arrives and she can return. In my application she's listed as a resident of Canada, but this won't be true if she has to spend a couple of weeks in another country waiting to get her visa extended. I just want to know how this affects my application.

If I submit before before she leaves, she will technically still be a resident at that point, but her status will change shortly after. If I submit after she leaves, I can say she's not a resident, but then she'll become a resident of Canada again shortly after (once the visa extension is sorted). So, not quite sure what to do and how much it matters.