+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How does spousal PR effect my WHP visa?

HobbesOz

Nov 3, 2014
Hi there,

Im an Australian in Canada on a (newly renewed) working holiday visa. Its valid until 2017 and Ive been here since February 2013.

Im in a Common law relationship with my girlfriend and we definitely meet the 1 year residency requirement.

My question is if I apply for my PR while im here will this effect my working status in Canada?

I found a vague mention of not being able to work while waiting for a response?

I''ve trawled through the Canadian governments site but the PR information is incredibly obtuse and doesn't provide much in the way of straight answers.

Eternally grateful to anyone who can help me with this or point me in the right direction!

Cheers

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
HobbesOz said:
Hi there,

Im an Australian in Canada on a (newly renewed) working holiday visa. Its valid until 2017 and Ive been here since February 2013.

Im in a Common law relationship with my girlfriend and we definitely meet the 1 year residency requirement.

My question is if I apply for my PR while im here will this effect my working status in Canada?

I''ve trawled through the Canadian governments site but the PR information is incredibly obtuse and doesn't provide much in the way of straight answers.

Eternally grateful to anyone who can help me with this or point me in the right direction!

Cheers
These are just my thoughts as I don't know officially, but if you are in Canada on a working holiday visa and apply for spousal sponsorship, I would think that you could continue working since you are doing so legally on the who, and once your PR is approved and land, then you will be a PR and no longer require the whp. I don't see how this could be a problem at all.

christian9536

Feb 26, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississuaga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
AOR Received.
04-02-2015
File Transfer...
12-02-2015
Med's Done....
02-09-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2015
LANDED..........
29-03-2015
HobbesOz said:
Hi there,

Cheers
Hey HobbesOz,

I am currently in Canada on a WHV (since August 2014) and have since then, applied for and had a final decision made regarding my spousal PR visa (CoPR coming soon hopefully!). So to answer your question, if your WHV is still valid up until you PR visa is issued (can be up to a year after applying in some cases), you will be able to continue working until that point.

Hope this helps :)