+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How does someone immigrate to Canada to work?

CanadianGirl593

Star Member
Jul 27, 2018
My boyfriend from the UK wants to immigrate to Canada and work here and eventually live here permanently. I've been trying to find information on it but all I can find is two options an open work permit or a LMIA. I was wondering if there is any other option that I'm missing.

Also will him being on welfare affect his immigration to Canada?

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children.html

If you can prove that you have lived together for 12 months continuously, then you could sponsor him as a common-law partner. You can also marry him, then sponsor him as your spouse.

I don't think that him being on welfare would not disqualify him from being sponsored, but as the sponsor, you would be financially responsible to provide for him until he can legally work.

CanadianGirl593

Star Member
Jul 27, 2018
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children.html

If you can prove that you have lived together for 12 months continuously, then you could sponsor him as a common-law partner. You can also marry him, then sponsor him as your spouse.

I don't think that him being on welfare would not disqualify him from being sponsored, but as the sponsor, you would be financially responsible to provide for him until he can legally work.
We only have 10 months of proof because he left Canada to go back to the UK.

CanadianGirl593

Star Member
Jul 27, 2018
If he is 30 or under he could apply for an IEC permit which provides for a 2 year open work permit. Always tends to be oversubcribed though and has been open for a month or so already this year.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp
I was looking at the working holiday permit, but the problem with that is his passport is from a different country then the one he resides in. His passport is from Latvia and when you chose Latvia it asks for a Latvian residential address but he doesn't have one since he lives in the UK as a resident. So is it still possible to apply for the working holiday permit with his Latvian passport and a UK address?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I was looking at the working holiday permit, but the problem with that is his passport is from a different country then the one he resides in. His passport is from Latvia and when you chose Latvia it asks for a Latvian residential address but he doesn't have one since he lives in the UK as a resident. So is it still possible to apply for the working holiday permit with his Latvian passport and a UK address?
No. He would need to return to live in Latvia to apply.

My boyfriend from the UK wants to immigrate to Canada and work here and eventually live here permanently. I've been trying to find information on it but all I can find is two options an open work permit or a LMIA. I was wondering if there is any other option that I'm missing.

Also will him being on welfare affect his immigration to Canada?
It's better to be upfront with all info to get the right answers. He is from Latvia and living in the UK.

If the IEC route isn't an option, then it would appear spousal sponsorship is your only choice. You would need to either you go live with him for a year to become common-law or get married first.

Him being on welfare wouldn't be a reason to refuse a sponsorship app but would certainly affect other apps that require significant proof of funds.