+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How does Canada count no of days?

reesigt

Jul 24, 2008
In a former post Thaiguy wrote that Canada has records of the actual stay in Canada. However, the only time my passport is scanned is on entry, but never when I leave the country and neither when I enter my homeland in Europe. Doesn't it make sense than that Canada only has entry dates on record and that, basically, there is some room for flexibility/creativity in reporting the number of days?

Example: Say I left Canada a year ago and returned July 1st. But how could they possibly check if I just would report a one month stay abroad from June 1st until July 1st? (Apart from providing false information, of course)

Hope somebody can shed some light on this.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I asked the same question a while ago and nobody answered it. When you arrive in Canada, you have to fill out a customs form telling them how long you were gone. You could say a month when you were gone a year, how would they ever know. Unless they are working with the tax authorities for example, they might figure out that you are not filing taxes anymore or filing taxes with zero income when you obviously need at least some income to support yourself legally. Maybe they run this info together. Maybe they have some other ways to know. Society is pretty computerized these days and if you want to find out information about someone, it's amazing what you could potentially get.

There was a woman on here who posted that she was gone for 4 years and came back and got in, nobody said anything. She left again and came back again a year later and then they started a big time investigation on her and she had to prove that she's living in Canada. So unless you plan to keep an apartment rented and utilities in your name and a job somehow you can show paystubs from, that's kind of hard to prove that you were living here. If you get caught lying to immigration, I am sure they'll not be too forgiving. Very likely they'll kick you right out the door and you'll not have the option to try to re-apply, at least not any time soon.