+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do you get employment in Canada whilst in the UK

Antony17

Aug 9, 2011
Hi,
I am trying to relocate to Alberta, before I go ideally I would like a career in position.
What is the best way to obtain employment in Canada whilst still in the UK.
I am a technical sales executive with 20 years experience.
I have tried most of the job boards but they knock you back unless you already have a work visa, and you can't get a work visa without a job offer!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Antony

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Unfortunately there's no easy answer or magic bullet. Just keep applying to companies directly and through online job boards, and hopefully you'll get lucky.

As Baloo has suggested, coming to Alberta in person and meeting with a few companies / hiring managers in person may help.

The reason why companies are reluctant to consider you as a candidate without a work permit is that if they are interested in hiring you (as a foreign worker), then must jump through a number of hoops to do so and in the end, there's no guarantee they will be allowed to hire you. More specifically, if an employer is interested in hiring you, they must submit a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) application to the Canadian Government (Human Resources Canada). IF the LMO is approved (not all are), you can then apply for a work permit.

For the LMO to be approved, the employer must prove they have attempted to find a Canadian to hire for the role and were unsuccessful (and therefore have to hire a foreign worker). The entire LMO process takes time and paperwork - and there's no guarantee it will be approved at the end. Consequenly, many companies are hesitant to look at candidates who aren't already allowed to work in Canada.

Good luck in the search.