xx-xx-2014
File Transfer...
xx-xx-2014
Med's Done....
25-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2014
LANDED..........
xx-xx-2014 not sure, the COPR caught me by surprise!
keesio said:
yeah, Canada is huge and like the US you'll see vast differences from region to region. Also many Canadians outside Toronto consider Toronto the anomaly than the norm when thinking of Canada. Kind of like how people will say NYC is the exception and not the norm of the USA.
Defnitely... except there's an even greater anomoly... montreal, or actually , all Quebec lol right QuebecOkie? Our very own mini-Europe right here in N. Am... one of the things I really like about Canada. Then again, I lived in France for 3 years when young, speak French, so having a "European side" without being "actually" European sort of fits for me, makes Canada feel more "me" than the US does! It also feels more in touch with the world... Americans can be so insular in their worldview, so unaware of other countries and cultures. Canada seems to see itself in a global context.

As a 1st gen immigrant (sort of, my mom was American, dad Iranian, I was born in Iran, my sisters in US) I also really like that there's an OFFICIAL emphasis on diversity here... like all those "welcome" signs in various languages on the streets of Toronto and in the airport. It's so much friendlier than "Homeland Security"!

uskyoot

Star Member
Feb 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2014
AOR Received.
25-06-2014
File Transfer...
07-07-2014
Med's Done....
03-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2014
LANDED..........
CORP received 5/8/2014 Landed 30/08/2014
Ponga said:
Just curious...what part of TN are you from? My family tree is `planted' in TN and KY.

(which explains a lot)!
We are in TN as Well..my husband's family are from TN and KY and IN

Tenn2NS

May 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-09-2012
Doc's Request.
08-03-2013
AOR Received.
06-12-2012
Med's Request
05-05-2014 (first one expired)
I am from Nashville originally. Was in Knoxville a number of years getting my bachelor's degree at UTK. My wife is a dual citizen, spending much of her childhood in Bloomington, IN. Her mom still lives there.

uskyoot said:
We are in TN as Well..my husband's family are from TN and KY and IN

uskyoot

Star Member
Feb 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2014
AOR Received.
25-06-2014
File Transfer...
07-07-2014
Med's Done....
03-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2014
LANDED..........
CORP received 5/8/2014 Landed 30/08/2014
Tenn2NS said:
I am from Nashville originally. Was in Knoxville a number of years getting my bachelor's degree at UTK. My wife is a dual citizen, spending much of her childhood in Bloomington, IN. Her mom still lives there.
We are in Knoxville, my husband is originally from Evansville, IN, his parents from Hickory KY

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
jjoon said:
Defnitely... except there's an even greater anomoly... montreal, or actually , all Quebec lol right QuebecOkie? Our very own mini-Europe right here in N. Am... one of the things I really like about Canada. Then again, I lived in France for 3 years when young, speak French, so having a "European side" without being "actually" European sort of fits for me, makes Canada feel more "me" than the US does! It also feels more in touch with the world... Americans can be so insular in their worldview, so unaware of other countries and cultures. Canada seems to see itself in a global context.

As a 1st gen immigrant (sort of, my mom was American, dad Iranian, I was born in Iran, my sisters in US) I also really like that there's an OFFICIAL emphasis on diversity here... like all those "welcome" signs in various languages on the streets of Toronto and in the airport. It's so much friendlier than "Homeland Security"!
SO true! I really don't feel like I live in Canada. I live in Québec. I didn't speak French when I arrived, but I'm getting there.

Yes, I'm really rather negative about the vast majority of Americans. I find many people to be ignorant, and rather than work to chip away at that ignorance, they seem PROUD of it. And many seem to believe that their world view is the only possible way to see things.

It's not diverse where I am, but I know my experience is pretty limited at this point.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
QuebecOkie said:
SO true! I really don't feel like I live in Canada. I live in Québec. I didn't speak French when I arrived, but I'm getting there.

Yes, I'm really rather negative about the vast majority of Americans. I find many people to be ignorant, and rather than work to chip away at that ignorance, they seem PROUD of it. And many seem to believe that their world view is the only possible way to see things.

It's not diverse where I am, but I know my experience is pretty limited at this point.
Google Rick Mercer, "Talking to Americans" . . .

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
QuebecOkie said:
For sure. But after living here for almost 15 years, I find that many Canadians just make sweeping generalizations of Americans which irritate me at times (similar to how Americans will generalize everyone else). There really is that "little brother" complex that can be annoying. It didn't both me at first but after a while you just get tired of it. It's funny, even though I'm also American I don't obsess over the US like many Canadians do.

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
QuebecOkie said:

To be fair to at least SOME Americans, my two brothers kind of freaked out at first when they found out I was dating a Canadian from Quebec. They told my mom ( who told me months later) 'I don't know how this going to work. Will we be able to talk to him?' Neither one has any French and they were worried, like most Canadians they had met previously that English was not my husband's first language and he had poor English. They know I have some French so they weren't so worried about me. But it's because most of the Canadians we'd see growing up were Montrealers with poor English and snobby attitudes. So it depends on which Canadians people run into or talk to. Because later we met some from Nova Scotia that were very different. That's why at first I felt like an ambassador to my country as maybe some of them had never met an American before so I was worried they'd judge my country as a whole solely on my behavior. It was a little stressful at first. I'm glad I got to see this part of Canada and other cultures. Now I know not all Canadians are like that. I'm pretty well accepted here, because they learned I'm not trying to change them or take away from them. Just to be with my family and live my life.

jjoon

Star Member
May 15, 2014
Toronto & San Francisco
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mailed 04-05, Deliv 09-05-2014
AOR Received.
xx-xx-2014
File Transfer...
xx-xx-2014
Med's Done....
25-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2014
LANDED..........
keesio said:
For sure. But after living here for almost 15 years, I find that many Canadians just make sweeping generalizations of Americans which irritate me at times (similar to how Americans will generalize everyone else). There really is that "little brother" complex that can be annoying. It didn't both me at first but after a while you just get tired of it. It's funny, even though I'm also American I don't obsess over the US like many Canadians do.
It also may be coming from a more positive place: Canadians DO place themselves in a global context, so they are quite interested in what's going on politically and socially in the States, or Europe, Asia etc ...whereas people, in general , in the States are pretty self-focused, maybe it comes from being the only "superpower" in the world? So yeah, I get asked about/confronted with US political issues a lot more HERE vs there!

My husband (canadian) feels Canadians in general are insecure about their national identity and so constantly comparing w (or following, or opposing) the US identity and culture, meanwhile trying to hang on to "british" culture (or french-quebecois). I guess that's what you mean by little brother complex lol! It's funny bc the Rob Ford thing has Canadians feeling either shocked and outraged or embarassed, or gung-ho "no he's great", but underneath it all I sense a kind of satisfaction in just HAVING a politician that the rest of the world knows about and talks about!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
jjoon said:
It also may be coming from a more positive place: Canadians DO place themselves in a global context, so they are quite interested in what's going on politically and socially in the States, or Europe, Asia etc ...whereas people, in general , in the States are pretty self-focused, maybe it comes from being the only "superpower" in the world? So yeah, I get asked about/confronted with US political issues a lot more HERE vs there!

My husband (canadian) feels Canadians in general are insecure about their national identity and so constantly comparing w (or following, or opposing) the US identity and culture, meanwhile trying to hang on to "british" culture (or french-quebecois). I guess that's what you mean by little brother complex lol! It's funny bc the Rob Ford thing has Canadians feeling either shocked and outraged or embarassed, or gung-ho "no he's great", but underneath it all I sense a kind of satisfaction in just HAVING a politician that the rest of the world knows about and talks about!
Yeah, usually the bigger you are, the less you pay attention to the others you perceive as "smaller" than you. And the rivalry thing too. It's like Korea constantly obsesses over Japan (and not always in a positive way... actually seldom in a positive way given the nasty history of oppression) while Japan pays much less attention to them other than in regards to some entertainment. Japan considers themselves bigger than Korea. Everyone pays attention to the US because they are still a giant. Just like people are paying attention to China now. Canadians know a lot about the US but little about our other NAFTA trading partner (Mexico) simply because of the differece in international clout of the two countries.

As for Rob Ford... well I don't know if I can say there is any satisfaction in knowing the world sees my mayor as a buffoon!

jjoon

Star Member
May 15, 2014
Toronto & San Francisco
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mailed 04-05, Deliv 09-05-2014
AOR Received.
xx-xx-2014
File Transfer...
xx-xx-2014
Med's Done....
25-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
21-08-2014
LANDED..........
keesio said:
As for Rob Ford... well I don't know if I can say there is any satisfaction in knowing the world sees my mayor as a buffoon!
LOL! But at least the world SEES (y)our mayor... someone Canadian is being talked about globally! ;)

but i agree Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield was a much more flattering global sensation :)

Florida Bear

Star Member
Jul 18, 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-08-2013
AOR Received.
29-08-2013
File Transfer...
09-09-2013
Med's Done....
06-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
09-05-2014
Just to restart this topic after living here for awhile. :)

After being here for a bit I am starting to notice more differences as time goes by. I'm working on Yonge St in the North York area of Toronto and take the Go Train and Subway from Oakville. I am coming from the suburbs into the city so I get a good mix of both. But again, this is just what I noticed around Toronto

Cheese and meat are crazy expensive, but the overwhelming selection of grocery stores makes it so that you can find some on sale. The FLIPP app has become my best friend in finding sales on food products.

The liqour stores are run by the government and seem to have a monopoly on alcohol sales and prices are quite high. I was kinda shocked at the prices for local craft beer considering it's made here. There was an article last week in the paper here stating there are no plans to privatize alcohol sales which is a shame.

At a bar, the pours of liqour are all measured, so if you order a shot expect a 1oz shot. (yes I like to drink :))

In Toronto I have found quite a bit of anti-american views and many broad generalizations regarding folks from the states. Just yesterday someone said that most Americans are bible thumpers, I was quick to point out that is certainly not the case. I'm sure a lot of it comes from what people see on tv and hear in the news.

Canadians, from what I have observed, are just as patriotic as Americans. On average I see way more Canadian flags displayed here than US flags in the states which I think is cool, be proud of your country!

Folks here put an "s" on things. For example, I have been told "So you're from St. Petes" instead of St. Pete. Also shrimps instead of shrimp is something I see often and think it's cute.

Canada has Double Big Macs on the menu all the time. Awesome!

Tim Hortons is an obsession and literally everywhere. Personally I like the timbits but their coffee is like brown water.

There are sushi restaurants everywhere, which is equally awesome.

Loonies and Toonies are very convenient.

These are just some interesting things I've noticed while living here. So far it's a great country and most of the people have been very friendly. It truly is a massive melting pot of cultures which is outstanding. :)

MapleLeafBride

Dec 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-12-2013
Doc's Request.
06-06-2014
AOR Received.
08-01-2014
File Transfer...
15-01-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2013
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2014
LANDED..........
25-08-2014
Florida Bear said:
Just to restart this topic after living here for awhile. :)

After being here for a bit I am starting to notice more differences as time goes by. I'm working on Yonge St in the North York area of Toronto and take the Go Train and Subway from Oakville. I am coming from the suburbs into the city so I get a good mix of both. But again, this is just what I noticed around Toronto

Cheese and meat are crazy expensive, but the overwhelming selection of grocery stores makes it so that you can find some on sale. The FLIPP app has become my best friend in finding sales on food products.

The liqour stores are run by the government and seem to have a monopoly on alcohol sales and prices are quite high. I was kinda shocked at the prices for local craft beer considering it's made here. There was an article last week in the paper here stating there are no plans to privatize alcohol sales which is a shame.

At a bar, the pours of liqour are all measured, so if you order a shot expect a 1oz shot. (yes I like to drink :))

In Toronto I have found quite a bit of anti-american views and many broad generalizations regarding folks from the states. Just yesterday someone said that most Americans are bible thumpers, I was quick to point out that is certainly not the case. I'm sure a lot of it comes from what people see on tv and hear in the news.

Canadians, from what I have observed, are just as patriotic as Americans. On average I see way more Canadian flags displayed here than US flags in the states which I think is cool, be proud of your country!

Folks here put an "s" on things. For example, I have been told "So you're from St. Petes" instead of St. Pete. Also shrimps instead of shrimp is something I see often and think it's cute.

Canada has Double Big Macs on the menu all the time. Awesome!

Tim Hortons is an obsession and literally everywhere. Personally I like the timbits but their coffee is like brown water.

There are sushi restaurants everywhere, which is equally awesome.

Loonies and Toonies are very convenient.

These are just some interesting things I've noticed while living here. So far it's a great country and most of the people have been very friendly. It truly is a massive melting pot of cultures which is outstanding. :)
Florida bear, my Floridian husband has definitely brought up some similar observations! He gets so mad at me when I slip and say "St. Pete's". :p. I was in a wedding this past weekend and my husband was sitting with a guy who thought he could bring up all his anti-government conservatism as soon as he learned hubs was American. Hubby laughed and replied along the lines of, "Bud, we're not all Tea Partiers. You're sitting with a liberal from a purple state!". Though a 2-year stint in NYS helped him adapt to the booze prices.

Gumper

Jan 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-01-2014
AOR Received.
06-03-2014
File Transfer...
11-03-2014
Med's Done....
09-01-2014
On a related note I am Canadian just returning from living in Europe the better part of last 10 years. Can you experience culture shock in your own country of origin? I'm here to tell you yes. North Americans in general imo lack certain 'savour vivre' aspects of life, like knowing how to fully engage in and appreciate even the simplest of meals. In Canada it often feels like it's a competition to see who can eat the fastest and make the least eye contact. Doesn't help that in most restaurants the staff are only concerned with what & how soon you will order more of. I had a HALF FINISHED beer on the table the other night & the perky waitress needed to know if I "was ok"? Unless this is some kind of beer track meet I think I'm fine sister.

On the positive side daily services are often far more efficient and rendered more often with a smile / civility (French govt administration people are some of the most misanthropic in the world).

Overall I'd say it's good to be home ... just remember a vast majority of the world's population would take your place in a heartbeat, pretty easy then!

tink23

Champion Member
Apr 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 23, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 9, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Nov 26, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 4, 2012
keesio said:
I know that this is a little silly but it always bugged me that the KFC here (or PFC if you are in Quebec) doesn't have those buttermilk biscuits that are everywhere in the US. I am so used to eating KFC with biscuits that I haven't eaten at one here in over 10 years :p
You wrote this in May and I only saw it now, but if you wan fried chicken and biscuits, go to Popeyes. That comes with a biscuit.