+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do I make my Canadian dream a reality?

cic86

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
Hi guys. I got my PR around Mar of 2019 and my PR is valid till 2024. I returned to India around April of 2019 and have been living here since because I was diagnosed with MDD(Major depressive disorder). I don't like talking openly about mental health as people assume that you're faking or you're weak/lazy. I went to a psychiatrist for a year in 2019 and tried working but sadly lost my job around June of 2020 and have been unemployed since. I keep reading that it's not easy to get white collar jobs/desk jobs so you have to do part time jobs which are physically demanding. If I didn't have this health problem, I would've gladly done these jobs but since I can't what can I do? What would you do if you were in my place? Thanks for reading.

Reactions: kri772020

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi guys. I got my PR around Mar of 2019 and my PR is valid till 2024. I returned to India around April of 2019 and have been living here since because I was diagnosed with MDD(Major depressive disorder). I don't like talking openly about mental health as people assume that you're faking or you're weak/lazy. I went to a psychiatrist for a year in 2019 and tried working but sadly lost my job around June of 2020 and have been unemployed since. I keep reading that it's not easy to get white collar jobs/desk jobs so you have to do part time jobs which are physically demanding. If I didn't have this health problem, I would've gladly done these jobs but since I can't what can I do? What would you do if you were in my place? Thanks for reading.
If you have severe depression you either can't work or you can work. There is no logic behind only being able to do white collar jobs. If anything jobs requiring some for of activity could be better because it will produce endorphins. What you should do should be something you discuss with your doctor. Getting mental health care in Canada can be difficult to find because there are wait lists and things like counselling is usually not covered under the provincial healthcare system. Until you are well enough to come to Canada the stress of a new environment and difference in support sysstem and medical care could trigger another major depressive episode.

cic86

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
If you have severe depression you either can't work or you can work. There is no logic behind only being able to do white collar jobs. If anything jobs requiring some for of activity could be better because it will produce endorphins. What you should do should be something you discuss with your doctor. Getting mental health care in Canada can be difficult to find because there are wait lists and things like counselling is usually not covered under the provincial healthcare system. Until you are well enough to come to Canada the stress of a new environment and difference in support sysstem and medical care could trigger another major depressive episode.
So let's assume I can't work anymore but want to settle down in Canada. How do I make a living in Canada? What are my options? How do the disabled have a decent life in Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So let's assume I can't work anymore but want to settle down in Canada. How do I make a living in Canada? What are my options? How do the disabled have a decent life in Canada?
No the disabled don't have a good life in Canada. Most are depedent on charity or family for basic survival.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that you aren't guaranteed disability payments. A doctor will need to try and treat you and see what happens and the government needs to bee convinced that there is no way you can't work. If you are able to do white collar jobs you're not disabled.

cic86

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
Would add that you aren't guaranteed disability payments. A doctor will need to try and treat you and see what happens and the government needs to bee convinced that there is no way you can't work. If you are able to do white collar jobs you're not disabled.
I was looking for basically an easy desk job but the only thing I could find are call center jobs but they're not easy. I'm not completely disabled(for example mentally retarded or schziophrenic for example) but I'm not completely normal either. I could work at 50-60% of my actual physical ability. This is what I'm trying to say why I'm looking for a job that is both doable and I can have a decent middle class life in Canada. I hope you understand where I'm coming from. Thanks for your prompt replies though.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How about investment in stock market and make capital gains? You can make money in any one of the world stock market!

• Haha
Reactions: BenLinus6 and cic86

cic86

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
How about investment in stock market and make capital gains? You can make money in any one of the world stock market!

I invested about 30 lakhs in stock market but that became 23 so I got a bit discouraged but still I'm doing it. But how does one make a living out of it? Can you make monthly income from it? Not sure if it's stable enough to provide for day to day expenses. Isn't it like gambling?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I invested about 30 lakhs in stock market but that became 23 so I got a bit discouraged but still I'm doing it. But how does one make a living out of it? Can you make monthly income from it? Not sure if it's stable enough to provide for day to day expenses. Isn't it like gambling?
It depend how much you made. Don't need to get a monthly income.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well how do you generate guaranteed stable income like a job? If the stock market crashes you're dead.
If you don't want to take risk, how about being youtuber? I heard with enough subscribers, they make money.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
A few things if you have not worked at all in Canada, you would not be able to receive any short or long term Canadian government disability benefits. Amount you received is if you have “paid” into the system. All mental health counselling is paid out of pocket or through private insurance. Private insurance usually is through your employer and is a set amount per year.

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
Investing in Stock market is a gamble, no risk no gain, You should have decent capital to invest in Stocks. Never invest your life savings into Stocks only invest what you can afford to loose.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I was looking for basically an easy desk job but the only thing I could find are call center jobs but they're not easy. I'm not completely disabled(for example mentally retarded or schziophrenic for example) but I'm not completely normal either. I could work at 50-60% of my actual physical ability. This is what I'm trying to say why I'm looking for a job that is both doable and I can have a decent middle class life in Canada. I hope you understand where I'm coming from. Thanks for your prompt replies though.
If you are able to work you wouldn't be considered disabled and as @Naturgrl has pointed out you never worked in Canada you will have difficulty claiming disability benefits. It is actually quite hard to qualify for disability benefits and the amount of money people receive if they haven't already worked for decades is not enough to lure people away from working. It is very unlikely that you'll be able to find a good paying job that allows you to put in 50-60% effort. A company will fire you if you are not doing a good job.

cic86

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
A few things if you have not worked at all in Canada, you would not be able to receive any short or long term Canadian government disability benefits. Amount you received is if you have “paid” into the system. All mental health counselling is paid out of pocket or through private insurance. Private insurance usually is through your employer and is a set amount per year.
That's rough.