+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do I know when my application for sponsorship is processing?

Pepperzzz

Mar 23, 2020
USA
Category........
FAM
Hello,

My wife and I submitted a sponsorship application for spousal inland and it has arrived since last Thursday. I am just wondering typically how long will it take until it starts the processing for a year and also how will they notify us that it is processing?

Thank you!

bian07

May 19, 2017
You will receive an acknowledgement of receipt one day in the future if your application is complete and that's when they start processing. Right now february applicants are still waiting for their acknowledgement of receipt, nobody knows how long it will take nowadays because of covid

Pepperzzz

Mar 23, 2020
USA
Category........
FAM
Will that receipt come in through email or will it be through the cic portal? I see, thats slightly what I expected. Same thing goes for a work permit as well, right? Since I attached it the application and will take 4 to 5 months once it all starts processing?

bian07

May 19, 2017
Will that receipt come in through email or will it be through the cic portal? I see, thats slightly what I expected. Same thing goes for a work permit as well, right? Since I attached it the application and will take 4 to 5 months once it all starts processing?
Email. You have to link it to your cic portal once you get an application number.
And yes

edenfair

Star Member
Feb 29, 2020
The usual processing times are unfortunately no longer valid for predicting things.
February applicant here, never got an AOR but I got an email reminding me to pay for my Biometrics fee(I already have) about 3 weeks ago. That was my first communication from them and I received it 4 months after they received my application.
Many who applied in February haven't even got that yet.

pvajjhala

Sep 6, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Hi, I am sponsoring my spouse as an inland application and we sent the sponsorship application along with open work permit application which was received last week. My spouse is here on a visitor visa and her status will expire next month (she came to Canada at the end of February 2020). Since we have included OWP as part of the application, does she still need to apply for an extension to her visitor visa? I've read on the forums that the OWP application in this package will grant her implied status even if her visitor status expires. Processing times have been affected because of the COVID situation and I'm not sure if we'll get any sort of confirmation before next month, so I do not want to put her immigration status at risk.

On another note, if she has a job offer in Canada currently, is there a way to expedite the OWP application so she can start working? Or is there any alternative for her to be able to work while these applications are being processed?

bian07

May 19, 2017
It's better to extend the stay in case the pr+work permit application gets returned so she has valid status. If she gets it returned when her current status expires she would be out of status, and she would not be eligible for the work permit anymore.

And no you cant expedite anything.

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
I am kinda butt hurt since I don’t get what’s going on. People say due to COVID the processing has stopped.
My wife works downtown Toronto and she is regularly going to office using TTC. Her work isn’t even considered essential. They are doing business as usual.
Then let me ask you why the hell, these lazy as people aren’t working? COVID isn’t an excuse anymore, since every office in Canada is 80% operational, most are 100%...

When they asked my wife and her colleagues to go to the office, they cried for an entire week. It hurts to work I get it...

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I am kinda butt hurt since I don’t get what’s going on. People say due to COVID the processing has stopped.
My wife works downtown Toronto and she is regularly going to office using TTC. Her work isn’t even considered essential. They are doing business as usual.
Then let me ask you why the hell, these lazy as people aren’t working? COVID isn’t an excuse anymore, since every office in Canada is 80% operational, most are 100%...

When they asked my wife and her colleagues to go to the office, they cried for an entire week. It hurts to work I get it...
I am only replying on your statement on the "every office is 80% operational" part .
I really doubt that's the case. My office is still empty and everyone is still working from home. I know a lot of people are still in reduced hours. And if IRCC didn't have proper procedure in place for their case officer to work remotely (access sensitive information....etc), it's hard for them to be working in full capacity.
I know that people are frustrated but I can tell you that things are NOT back to normal yet.

Reactions: abdulzeedo

abdulzeedo

Star Member
Jun 23, 2019
I am only replying on your statement on the "every office is 80% operational" part .
I really doubt that's the case. My office is still empty and everyone is still working from home. I know a lot of people are still in reduced hours. And if IRCC didn't have proper procedure in place for their case officer to work remotely (access sensitive information....etc), it's hard for them to be working in full capacity.
I know that people are frustrated but I can tell you that things are NOT back to normal yet.
In reply to your post, I am not sure how your office works but two are the scenarios:
- you guys are 100% operational from remote, so there is no need to be in office
- your overall work load is less than 10% and working from remote is acceptable.

I repeat, offices are not retail shops... shops were closed by gov. All offices were closed during lockdown but only initially, then those who could work from the office worked from the office. My wife has to enter physical timesheets from productions. That's even more unsafe than one file that you keep in there for more than 3 days... after which the virus dies... Just saying that if her office can do it, IRCC can do it too... but they are not!!

Neither of the scenarios apply to IRCC employees!

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In reply to your post, I am not sure how your office works but two are the scenarios:
- you guys are 100% operational from remote, so there is no need to be in office
- your overall work load is less than 10% and working from remote is acceptable.

Are you even in Canada. Your wife's office may have returned back to somewhat nornal but many people are still unemployed and have not been called back to their job. There are lots of offuces abroad which are closed and the Canadian enployees returned to Canada since the medical systems could not guarantee them treatment. Your wife can tell you that the TTC is not even close to as busy as they used to be. There was a lockdown for a few months so there is a backlog just from that. It also has taken time to make adjustments in offices because immigration woek can't easily be done remotely for privacy reasons. CIC is trying to come up with new ways of processing people. Inland applicants now receive a COPR and landing via email. Immigration depends on accessing multiple agencies in Canada and abroad so even if CIC is working other agencies may not be. You are quick to point out that your wife was in tears because she had to return to work and had to take the TTC yet you have no empathy for CIC workers who have done the exact same when they returned to work.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

I repeat, offices are not retail shops... shops were closed by gov. All offices were closed during lockdown but only initially, then those who could work from the office worked from the office. My wife has to enter physical timesheets from productions. That's even more unsafe than one file that you keep in there for more than 3 days... after which the virus dies... Just saying that if her office can do it, IRCC can do it too... but they are not!!

As I have replied. My office is operating remotely. Some positions are 100% operational. Some positions are still on no pay leaves as they need to work physically. And my company decided it's not safe to put people in full capacity back in an office space.

What your wife's office is doing is up to whose running her office. I do not believe that's the case for every office in Canada.