+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do i actually apply for a BOWP?

Meggg

Jul 27, 2020
I've been going in circles for hours trying to work out how to apply to extend my work permit while i wait for the outcome of my PR application. I found this long guide explaining every question it will ask you and the forms you will need to have filled out (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html#5553E7), however it does not say HOW to actually apply. I signed into my CIC account, there's an option to apply to 'come to canada' by starting a new work permit, is that right? Do i fill out a brand new work permit in the hopes that at some point it will ask if this is an extension? Will i need to fill in 10 years of work history AGAIN? I'm so lost! Is there actually a thing called BOWP or is it just an extension of your visa? I'm sure there are others who have applied for visa extensions during the PR delays, any help is very much appreciated!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I've been going in circles for hours trying to work out how to apply to extend my work permit while i wait for the outcome of my PR application. I found this long guide explaining every question it will ask you and the forms you will need to have filled out (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html#5553E7), however it does not say HOW to actually apply. I signed into my CIC account, there's an option to apply to 'come to canada' by starting a new work permit, is that right? Do i fill out a brand new work permit in the hopes that at some point it will ask if this is an extension? Will i need to fill in 10 years of work history AGAIN? I'm so lost! Is there actually a thing called BOWP or is it just an extension of your visa? I'm sure there are others who have applied for visa extensions during the PR delays, any help is very much appreciated!
There is no separate / distinct application for a BOWP. By definition, you are extending/changing conditions of your existing work permit. And no, the application form was not tailored for the BOWP. But there are instructions for the BOWP. If you have submitted your eAPR and received your AOR, just know that you have to say "yes" to the question, approved in principle for PR.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

Meggg

Jul 27, 2020
Omg thank you guys so much! The video is great, and yeah i didn't know what the approved principle question meant exactly. This really should be more obvious, as someone who breezed through the PR process im surprised that the visa extension was so difficult for me to work out.