+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How difficult will it be for me to find a job in Canada, if I have a master's degree and 2 years of experience from my home country ?

jawmed

Nov 15, 2020
Hi, I'm seeking advice regarding job prospects in Canada

Currently, I'm enrolled in a master's program in my home country whilst working, so by the time I complete my master's I will have 2 years of work experience.

After this, I will be applying for my PR and I wanted to know if I will be able to find jobs in Canada, keeping in mind that I have a PR, a master's degree, and 2 years of work exp from my home country. To add a bit of more information, both my Bachelor's and Master's degrees are in Computer Science and I am interested in Software Engineer roles

Any advice is much appreciated !

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Currently, I'm enrolled in a master's program in my home country whilst working, so by the time I complete my master's I will have 2 years of work experience.

After this, I will be applying for my PR and I wanted to know if I will be able to find jobs in Canada, keeping in mind that I have a PR, a master's degree, and 2 years of work exp from my home country. To add a bit of more information, both my Bachelor's and Master's degrees are in Computer Science and I am interested in Software Engineer roles

As long as your skills are good and are able to pass the testing required during interviews you shouldn't have a problem getting a job in IT once you get PR.

Reactions: Jakev

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017

concur with the aforesaid comment- it’d be worthwhile for you to garner pertinent experience.

mfkoko321

Star Member
Jul 23, 2017
I wish you all the best, there is few points you need to consider.
The location, I am almost in your situation, preparing for my masters and in Network field. I have been searching for Jobs in Ottawa but it seems a bit harder hear comparing to Toronto. So my advice is to take a look at the available jobs at the city your moving in to.

The other point, is the Canadian experience, employers are really looking into this although I know software engineering, networking, computer since all the same everywhere but Canadian experience will really boost your application.

Last but not least, in Montreal and Ottawa they also prefers a person who can speak french as these bilingual cities, so a french language is an asset.

HTH

jawmed

Nov 15, 2020
I wish you all the best, there is few points you need to consider.
The location, I am almost in your situation, preparing for my masters and in Network field. I have been searching for Jobs in Ottawa but it seems a bit harder hear comparing to Toronto. So my advice is to take a look at the available jobs at the city your moving in to.

The other point, is the Canadian experience, employers are really looking into this although I know software engineering, networking, computer since all the same everywhere but Canadian experience will really boost your application.

Last but not least, in Montreal and Ottawa they also prefers a person who can speak french as these bilingual cities, so a french language is an asset.

HTH
Thank You for the Information, I don't have Canadian Experience but I'm good at French so I guess that would help me out a bit.
I am planning to live in Vancouver but I don't mind switching cities if I find a good opportunity

Reactions: mfkoko321

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I would suggest that anyone moving to Canada remain flexible when looking for job opportunities. Many newcomers want to secure a lease as soon as possible to save money on more temporary rentals and arrive having determined what city they want to live in but I would really suggest applying throughout Canada and going where the best opportunity are. Sometimes the better opportunities aren't in somewhere like Toronto. Even within a city you can limit opportunities if you sign a lease in a certain area. For example some people are determined to rent in Brampton but discover after the fact that it is not a great location when it comes to commuting using public transportation. I give the same advice to Canadians starting out their careers to look for the best job opportunities and once you have more experience you can try to find a job in your ideal location.

Would add that IT jobs are one of the few jobs where you can apply while still in your home country and you may still get replies as long as you specify that you are approved as a PR.

cic86

Star Member
Feb 26, 2018
Aside from what everyone else has said I would suggest this - Having work experience or a Masters doesn't get you a job.

What gets you a job is how you tackle multiple rounds, sometimes an entire day of technical interviewing and this can't be learnt either in your Masters or even in your job which is an unfortunate reality that we have to deal with. So, an easier more doable route if you're not a coding beast would be to get a fulltime job via the contract to hire mode because typically these positions don't grill you THAT much on your technical skills. There's usually a phone screen and sometimes not even a face to face interview that's required. Once you're in they would automatically convert you if they like you which is much easier than going through the brutal process of coding interviews that companies like Amazon, Google etc have.