+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can I use my earlier stay in Canada for residency requirement

CAPRasiprer

Star Member
Jul 19, 2014
Friends,

I stayed in Canada from 02 2013 - 09- 2014 on work visa and went back to my country post that. I did my softlanding in Jan 2019 and planning to enter in June 2020. Can I claim earlier days for my PR renewal/Citizenship in future?

I heard its 5 yrs before you enter Canada on PR.

Suggest?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Friends,

I stayed in Canada from 02 2013 - 09- 2014 on work visa and went back to my country post that. I did my softlanding in Jan 2019 and planning to enter in June 2020. Can I claim earlier days for my PR renewal/Citizenship in future?

Suggest?
For PR, no. Only days after you became a PR can be counted towards the residency requirement.

For citizenship, only days within the last five years count. So that time period is too long ago to count.

So no for both answers.

CAPRasiprer

Star Member
Jul 19, 2014
Thanks Scylla, likewise you said, can I claim those days for minimum residency requirements? and If yes, can you share more details on how I can claim?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Thanks Scylla, likewise you said, can I claim those days for minimum residency requirements? and If yes, can you share more details on how I can claim?
agree with scylla, you CANNOT claim days spent in 2013-2014 in your residency requirements nor your citizenship. It is March 11, 2020, this means you can only claim days spent in Canada from March 11, 2015 to today should you send an application to renew your PR card today.

CAPRasiprer

Star Member
Jul 19, 2014
HI jddd, but my card came Jan 2019, so shall I not be able to count days from Jan 11 2014 - which is in last 5 yrs... for my residency requirements?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
HI jddd, but my card came Jan 2019, so shall I not be able to count days from Jan 11 2014 - which is in last 5 yrs... for my residency requirements?
Again - no.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Friends,

Suggest?
What you heard is wrong.

For PR renewal and Citizenship application, both only look back up to 5 years FROM that application date.
So any day you stayed in Canada earlier (like in 2013 and 2014) does not count.

For PR renewal, only days after you landed counts.
For citizenship application, non-PR days counts too but those have to be within 5 years from your date of application.

CAPRasiprer

Star Member
Jul 19, 2014
Thanks friends, just got confused with these guidelines:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/residence/calculate-physical-presence.html#s04

"
Calculating physical presence for applications received on or after October 11, 2017

For applications received on or after October 11, 2017, under paragraph 5(1)(c)(i) of the Act, the applicant must have accumulated at least 1095 days of physical presence in Canada within the five years immediately preceding the date the applicant signed the application.

• The calculation of physical presence cannot go beyond the five-year period before the date of application.
  • Each day of physical presence in Canada as a permanent resident counts as one day.
  • ch day of physical presence in Canada as an authorized temporary resident or protected person before becoming a permanent resident, counts as one half day, with a maximum of 365 days credit towards physical presence.
  • February 29 (leap day) is counted in either presence or absence.
  • Absences will be calculated only for days where an applicant spent no time at all in Canada. Dates where an applicant left Canada, or returned to Canada will not be counted as an absence since the applicant was physically present in Canada for a portion of both days.
  • Time spent serving a sentence and absences must be subtracted from

Counting Physical presence before becoming a permanent resident of Canada

• As of October 11, 2017, non-permanent resident (NPR) time spent in Canada as an authorized temporary resident or protected person may be used towards an applicant’s physical presence calculation. Each day spent in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person, before becoming a permanent resident within the five-year period before the date of application will count as one half day, with a maximum of 365 days towards the physical presence calculation.
    Temporary resident status includes lawful authorization to enter or remain in Canada as a:
    • visitor;
    • student;
    • worker; or,
    • temporary resident permit holder.
    the total number of days of physical presence during the five-year period

"

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks friends, just got confused with these guidelines:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/grant/residence/calculate-physical-presence.html#s04

"
Calculating physical presence for applications received on or after October 11, 2017

For applications received on or after October 11, 2017, under paragraph 5(1)(c)(i) of the Act, the applicant must have accumulated at least 1095 days of physical presence in Canada within the five years immediately preceding the date the applicant signed the application.

• The calculation of physical presence cannot go beyond the five-year period before the date of application.
  • Each day of physical presence in Canada as a permanent resident counts as one day.
  • ch day of physical presence in Canada as an authorized temporary resident or protected person before becoming a permanent resident, counts as one half day, with a maximum of 365 days credit towards physical presence.
  • February 29 (leap day) is counted in either presence or absence.
  • Absences will be calculated only for days where an applicant spent no time at all in Canada. Dates where an applicant left Canada, or returned to Canada will not be counted as an absence since the applicant was physically present in Canada for a portion of both days.
  • Time spent serving a sentence and absences must be subtracted from

Counting Physical presence before becoming a permanent resident of Canada

• As of October 11, 2017, non-permanent resident (NPR) time spent in Canada as an authorized temporary resident or protected person may be used towards an applicant’s physical presence calculation. Each day spent in Canada as a temporary resident or protected person, before becoming a permanent resident within the five-year period before the date of application will count as one half day, with a maximum of 365 days towards the physical presence calculation.
    Temporary resident status includes lawful authorization to enter or remain in Canada as a:
    • visitor;
    • student;
    • worker; or,
    • temporary resident permit holder.
  • the total number of days of physical presence during the five-year period

"
Your questions have been answered repeatedly. It seems like you continue to misunderstand the rules. You can keep asking the same question but the answer is not going to change.

There are two residency obligations - one for PR and one for citizenship. Each has different rules. In both cases your time spend in Canada from 2013 to 2014 cannot be counted because it was too long ago. The rules you have quoted above only apply to citizenship.

For PR - only time AFTER you become a PR counts.

For citizenship - only time in the five years immediately before you submit your citizenship application count.

Once again, your time from 2013 to 2014 was too long ago to count for anything.

Reactions: YVR123 and jddd

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Your questions have been answered repeatedly. It seems like you continue to misunderstand the rules. You can keep asking the same question but the answer is not going to change.

There are two residency obligations - one for PR and one for citizenship. Each has different rules. In both cases your time spend in Canada from 2013 to 2014 cannot be counted because it was too long ago. The rules you have quoted above only apply to citizenship.

For PR - only time AFTER you become a PR counts.

For citizenship - only time in the five years immediately before you submit your citizenship application count.

Once again, your time from 2013 to 2014 was too long ago to count for anything.
@CAPRasiprer, your questions have been answered and it's very clear.
For PR you can only count the 5 year period your PR is valid for.
For Citizenship at any point in time, you can only look as far as 5 years back. Of these, any time spent as a TR count as ½ day up to a total of one year and then the remainder must be as a PR.