+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how can i sponsor my spouse???

sussie

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
hello i just received my CPR under FSWP as a single applicant which is valid till 14/02/2015. i am thinking of getting married and sponsoring my spouse along with me. can i get married before landing to canada , i m in dillema becuz my visa shows as a single applicant. wat do i do and wat shud i nt do??? helpplzzz

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
sussie said:
hello i just received my CPR under FSWP as a single applicant which is valid till 14/02/2015. i am thinking of getting married and sponsoring my spouse along with me. can i get married before landing to canada , i m in dillema becuz my visa shows as a single applicant. wat do i do and wat shud i nt do??? helpplzzz
if your visa was granted as single, you should land as single, get married then sponsor your spouse. If you get married before landing and still land as single you will NEVER be allowed to sponsor your spouse.
There might be a way to get married first, then add your spouse to your PR BEFORE landing, but you should ask in the FSW part of the forum, as I am not familiar with that.
Sweden

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Also - have you lived sometimes in the past with your partner for 12 months? If yes, you are considered a common-law couple, and must declare her/him as your spouse BEFORE landing. If you have lived with your partner for 12 months, and land as single, you are excluding your partner from ever being sponsored through the family process. Just make sure that you have all the information before you land.
Sweden

sussie

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
Sweden said:
Also - have you lived sometimes in the past with your partner for 12 months? If yes, you are considered a common-law couple, and must declare her/him as your spouse BEFORE landing. If you have lived with your partner for 12 months, and land as single, you are excluding your partner from ever being sponsored through the family process. Just make sure that you have all the information before you land.
Sweden
thanks for d reply, but d bad news is i havent been with my partner for 12 months as u stated. i guess i need to land as a pr then get married and sponsor.but this is such a long process , well is there any other site or link where i can enquiry abt this marrying before or after thing ???

navigary

Apr 8, 2014
hello , anyone can give a feedback if i want to sponsor my wife and i am PR holder can i perform the the process if i am living out side Canada for temp period of one years , i want to know if is it possible or no

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
navigary said:
hello , anyone can give a feedback if i want to sponsor my wife and i am PR holder can i perform the the process if i am living out side Canada for temp period of one years , i want to know if is it possible or no
No, you can't. A PR must physically reside inside Canada to be allowed to sponsor anyone. Also, they must stay residing in Canada during the whole of the application processing.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
sussie said:
thanks for d reply, but d bad news is i havent been with my partner for 12 months as u stated. i guess i need to land as a pr then get married and sponsor.but this is such a long process , well is there any other site or link where i can enquiry abt this marrying before or after thing ???
If you have NOT been living with your partner for 12 continuous months, you do not have any problem.
Land as a "single" PR and then get married. Then you can sponsor your new spouse.

Adding a new spouse after you have already received your COPR is possible but they may take a long time. Your existing COPR would be torn up and your visa cancelled. You would then have to add your spouse with all the delay for medicals, background checks etc. Only then would they issue you each with a new "married" COPR and new visa. After all that, you could then both land.

Your choice....

sussie

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
zardoz said:
If you have NOT been living with your partner for 12 continuous months, you do not have any problem.
Land as a "single" PR and then get married. Then you can sponsor your new spouse.

Adding a new spouse after you have already received your COPR is possible but they may take a long time. Your existing COPR would be torn up and your visa cancelled. You would then have to add your spouse with all the delay for medicals, background checks etc. Only then would they issue you each with a new "married" COPR and new visa. After all that, you could then both land.

Your choice....
thanks alot, well if i return my existing visa and start my spouse paperwork , will it be certain for me to get the visa again for sure??? i guess it wont be so sure.hmm . wat would u suggest :) !!!
thanks anyways :)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
sussie said:
thanks alot, well if i return my existing visa and start my spouse paperwork , will it be certain for me to get the visa again for sure??? i guess it wont be so sure.hmm . wat would u suggest :) !!!
thanks anyways :)
Nothing is ever "sure". You would only be adding to your existing application and not starting from the beginning, so that would not be an issue. However, if for some unforeseen reason, your spouse was declared inadmissible for ANY reason, your application would also die. Yes, I know it's unlikely, but you should be aware of this...

sussie

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
zardoz said:
Nothing is ever "sure". You would only be adding to your existing application and not starting from the beginning, so that would not be an issue. However, if for some unforeseen reason, your spouse was declared inadmissible for ANY reason, your application would also die. Yes, I know it's unlikely, but you should be aware of this...
oke thanks for ur help

sussie

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
hello there again, ive thought of a decision tat i will land in canada first bt only have a month or two stay, finish some basic work as SIN and pr card issuing... then return my home town, get married and again return to canada then only sponsoring.
so here, will i be eligible to sponsor this soon in such short time period or will i have to wait for few months to pass??
thnx

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Immediately is perfectly OK as long as you can show them that the relationship is genuine.

sussie

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
zardoz said:
Immediately is perfectly OK as long as you can show them that the relationship is genuine.
[/quot
hey is it true that you have to reside in canada for 2 yrs out of 5 as a permanent resident then only u will be eligible to sponsor your spouse??? or i will be eligible immediately after i get a PR card??

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
sussie said:
zardoz said:
hey is it true that you have to reside in canada for 2 yrs out of 5 as a permanent resident then only u will be eligible to sponsor your spouse??? or i will be eligible immediately after i get a PR card??
Immediately. You only have to reside for the 2 years if you currently don't/can't meet the residency obligations. As a new PR, this cannot be the case.