+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can I maintain my PR card while in USA?

sjh84

Nov 26, 2011
Hi All,

I am recently landed in Canada as a new immigrant. I belong to medical profession and I am going for my residency training in USA from June for 4 years. My wife still has PR card. I am worried how to complete my 2 years to retain as my PR card.

Would training in USA help relax the requirement or not?

Just one more question.
I have lived in Canada on visit visa for about 1 year before becoming Permanent resident so will it be accounted as six months to retain PR.

Thanks.

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sjh84 said:
No, it's a different country.

sjh84 said:
I have lived in Canada on visit visa for about 1 year before becoming Permanent resident so will it be accounted as six months to retain PR.
No, time in Canada when you're not a permanent resident doesn't count as time in Canada for the purpose of preserving your status.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you will be working in the US for the next 4 years, you will be unable to meet your Canada PR residency requirements. However, you have two options to still keep your PR.

1. Once you are done, come back to Canada. If you do not get reported at the border for not meeting the requirements, stay for 2 years straight and then apply to renew your PR card. Immigration rules only allow them to check the last 5 years so if you stayed 2 out of 5 for the last 5 before you apply you are ok. Living in Canada with an expired card is no problem.

2. If you lose your PR, as long as your wife is still a PR and living in Canada, she can sponsor you back.

Doctor2011

Mar 27, 2012
sjh84 said:
Hi All,

I am recently landed in Canada as a new immigrant. I belong to medical profession and I am going for my residency training in USA from June for 4 years. My wife still has PR card. I am worried how to complete my 2 years to retain as my PR card.

Just one more question.

Thanks.
Hi doctor, I need your help..I will be landing in canada in june as PR.I will be applying for 2013 match.Which visa u got for residency? Did u gave mccee?
Thanx..