+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can i Invite my friend to Canada on Visitor Visa

av

Jan 21, 2015
Hi,

I am on work permit here and want to invite my school friend, can someone please answer my question below

1. Can I invite a friend while on visitor visa
2. How long can be the stay period (can it be 1-2 months)
3. whats the process to invite a friend and get his visa stamped

Thanks

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
You must be a PERMANENT RESIDENT or a CITIZEN to be able to invite a friend.

av

Jan 21, 2015
charmainefrances said:
I am here on work permit since last 3 years and many of my friends had invited there family members, so just curious if that rule applies for friends as well

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
av said:
I am here on work permit since last 3 years and many of my friends had invited there family members, so just curious if that rule applies for friends as well
I was under a work permit from 2009-2014. And I was not able to invite a friend or a family member back then because I am not a permanent resident or a citizen yet.

This is what I have found:

Information for the person writing the letter of invitation

Writing a letter of invitation does not mean you are legally responsible for the visitor once he or she gets to Canada. You should still write the letter in good faith. You must tell the truth and plan to keep the promises you make in the letter.

Send your letter (notarized, if the visa office asks for that) to the person you are inviting to Canada. The person must then send this letter to the Canadian embassy or consulate outside of Canada when he or she applies for a temporary resident visa.

You must include this information about the person you are inviting:
•complete name,
•date of birth,
•address and telephone number,
•your relationship to the person,
•the purpose of the trip,
•how long the person plans to stay in Canada,
•where the person will stay, and how he or she will pay for things, and
•when the person plans to leave Canada.

You must include this information about yourself:
•complete name,
•date of birth,
•address and telephone number in Canada,
•job title,
•whether you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident,
•a photocopy of a document proving your status in Canada, such as ◦a Canadian birth certificate, if you were born in Canada,
◦a Canadian citizenship card, if you are a naturalized citizen, or
◦a copy of your PR card or your IMM 1000 proof of landing, if you are a permanent resident,

•details of your family, such as names and dates of birth of your spouse and dependants (this is mandatory for the parent and grandparent super visa), and
•the total number of people living in your household, including people you sponsored whose sponsorship is still in effect (this is mandatory for the parent and grandparent super visa).

Maybe there is another program that I am not aware of...
You said many of your friends invited family members already when they are only under work permit? Or are they PRs?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
av said:
I don't think there's a hard and fast rule for the invitation letter.

I mean, I ignored many of the guidelines in charmainefrances's post above, but I was approved anyway.

The approval lies mainly on the applicant's proof anyway, the invitation letter is just a supplementary factor...I think inviting while on a work permit is allowed, just that the applicant still needs to present compelling ties to their home country.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
charmainefrances said:
This is not correct.

Anyone with a valid status can invite a friend. Even visitors can invite friends (but it is hard to justify the invitation though).

charmainefrances said:
You must include this information about yourself:
•complete name,
•date of birth,
•address and telephone number in Canada,
•job title,
•a photocopy of a document proving your status in Canada, such as ◦a Canadian birth certificate, if you were born in Canada,
◦a copy of your PR card or your IMM 1000 proof of landing, if you are a permanent resident,

•details of your family, such as names and dates of birth of your spouse and dependants (this is mandatory for the parent and grandparent super visa), and
•the total number of people living in your household, including people you sponsored whose sponsorship is still in effect (this is mandatory for the parent and grandparent super visa).
If you read it carefully it says:

This does not imply in any matter that if you are not a citizen or a PR you cannot invite anyone. It only states that if you are a citizen or a PR you should include the mentioned documents.

The bullets are meant as a guideline and you should include information IF APPLICABLE, for example:

•job title,

This doesn't imply that only "working people" can invite others, this only means that if you are working, then you should include the job title.

If something is not specifically pointed as a requirement then it is not a requirement.

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
bellaluna said:
I don't think there's a hard and fast rule for the invitation letter.

I mean, I ignored many of the guidelines in charmainefrances's post above, but I was approved anyway.

The approval lies mainly on the applicant's proof anyway, the invitation letter is just a supplementary factor...I think inviting while on a work permit is allowed, just that the applicant still needs to present compelling ties to their home country.
I copied the guidelines from the CIC website...

In my own experience, the letter I wrote and submitted for my mom and aunt's application made a huge impact.. My mom and aunt does not even have huge money in their account or even assets back home. (as compared to applicant's from India- They really show huge amount of money and still their application is refused) My mom and aunt's application were approved. So I do not believe on the approval lies mainly on the applicant's proof.. Because I was the one who submitted more poof than them. I guess the VO from the Philippines has more heart ;)

Anyway, back to the OP, I saw on your previous post that your work permit is under CEC, right? So I guess under that program you'll be able to invite a family member or even a friend. So just gather all the requirements and apply... No problem.

av

Jan 21, 2015
charmainefrances said:
Maybe there is another program that I am not aware of...
You said many of your friends invited family members already when they are only under work permit? Or are they PRs?
Yep, all of then invited family members while on work permit

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
av said:
Yep, all of then invited family members while on work permit
Oh good. Then you can invite your friend.. I don't see why not.. It should be ok! :)

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
here is a sample letter I submitted for my friend in 2015

October 5, 2015

Visa Officer
High Commission of Canada to Singapore
1 George Street
#11-01
Singapore 049145

Dear Visa Officer:

My name is________ a Permanent Resident of Canada with client ID number _______ I live with my husband ________, a Canadian and my son ________ at _________

I humbly ask that you accept this letter of invitation for my friend,________ living at____________ He works at _________as a ____________ and his contact number is _________

______ and I are really good friends and we have known each other since we were still in highschool in the Philippines._______ is not only close to me but also to my family. When I visited Singapore last November 2014, ________ was the one who accommodated me. He fetched me up at the airport and stayed at his place for free. He even took some time off from work so that he can accompany me around Singapore.

________ will be traveling to the United States in November 2015 up to January 2016 for a tour. I think this will be a great opportunity for him to also visit us here in Canada for 10 days. From November 20 , 2015 to November 30, 2015. He will be staying with us and we will take care of his expenses like travel within Canada, food and other necessities for the duration of his stay. We are aware and respect the temporary resident visit status and we offer our personal guarantee that _______ will not exceed 10 days from the time of his arrival. He will travel back to the United States to continue his tour.

Please see attached support documents for this application:
PERSONAL INFORMATION:
Complete name: __________
Contact Number: __________
Date of Birth: ___________
Job Title: __________________

SPOUSE INFORMATION:
Complete name: ___________
Contact number: ___________
Date of birth:_________
Job Title: ____________

Thank you very much! And I look forward for the approval of______ application.
God bless you and your family.

Sincerely yours,

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
charmainefrances said:
I copied the guidelines from the CIC website...
Yes, I've seen that before. I can't blame you for initially answering that only PRs and citizens can write the invitation letter, but IMO those are guidelines (i.e. suggestions) and not rules. :)