+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can I get Canadian car insurance before moving to Canada?

kingmourya

Mar 28, 2014
Hello, I am moving to Canada on a PR card from USA. I will be importing my vehicle. Currently I have Geico insurance.
So far called 3 Canadian insurance companies and they are informing that I have to have vehicle registered in Canada in order to get the car insurance.
However it is one of the requirements for importing a vehicle into Canada....

How can I get Canadian car insurance before moving to Canada?

Please help. Thanks!

AnthonyL

May 5, 2021
Hello,

Sorry to revive an old thread but I can't find an answer anywhere...

I'm in the same situation now. I am currently in VT and I will be moving to Canada in < 8 weeks. I will be importing my car myself and driving it to my destination in Toronto. My Geico insurance will end the day I move to Canada so will I have to drive 7 hours from VT to Toronto without insurance?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I'm in the same situation now. I am currently in VT and I will be moving to Canada in < 8 weeks. I will be importing my car myself and driving it to my destination in Toronto. My Geico insurance will end the day I move to Canada so will I have to drive 7 hours from VT to Toronto without insurance?
Could you extend your US insurance for at least a day?

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hello,

https://www.tdinsurance.com/products-services/auto-car-insurance/coverage/ontario/toronto

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
I've had US vehicles with US plates and Canada insurance. I have a Canadian address, though.

I also got my US insurance to give me one of the special forms needed for BC, though that was a PITA.