+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can I Claim CA-born US. Dad Born Canada '28-naturalized US Citizen bf '47-

BSN2MBA

Feb 27, 2017
My dad was born in Ottawa in 1928 and came to US and joined US military around 1945 or so.
I was born in 1967 in United States.
Like many of my age group we never realized what the laws of Canada were for us to "reclaim" our citizenship.
My dad has passed away.
1) Do I have a claim to Canadian Citizenship? It looks like I definitely do based on recent changes to laws in Canada.

2) What documentation would I need? I have fathers US Military records showing he was born in Canada and I believe I have his birth certificate.

3) Would I be able to find birth records for him from 1928 in Ottawa? How would I go about that if needed?

4) I want to ensure I do my application perfectly. Should I go through an immigration lawyer? Any recommends? I live near Los Angeles and can fly to BC if needed to see a Canadian lawyer.

5) any other tips or solid advice is greatly appreciated.

BSN2MBA

Feb 27, 2017
:eek:
Oh one more thing- I am adopted by my Canadian father. Does that matter? It also doesn't say anywhere on my modified US birth certificate that I am adopted. Just the issue year doesn't match my birth year.
Is it any different for me because I am adopted?
I'm of Canadian descent on my mom's side, but through my grandparents so I'm not even pursuing citizenship from that side.

Thank You ;D

vivek901

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
NEW DELHI
App. Filed.......
28-01-2002
Doc's Request.
19-11-2007
Med's Request
14-04-2008
Med's Done....
24-05-2008
Passport Req..
21-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2008
LANDED..........
30-04-2009
You need to apply for Proof of Citizenship.. Go through the below form and it will have all the details

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/citizen/CIT0014E-2.pdf

WPG Daughter

Feb 17, 2017
I am in the process of doing the same thing - my mother was born in Canada and my sister and I were born in the U.S. I ordered my mother's birth certificate through vitalcerticates dot ca (not allowed to post links) and paid for the express processing (expensive but much faster).

You should also get a certified copy of your own birth certificate from the state of your birth which lists your parents names and place of birth. If I understand the application form correctly (no guarantee that I do), we need to send the actual copy of the birth certificates that we get from Canada and the states rather than photocopies.

I'm also in S. Cal and have been working on this for a while. Almost ready to do the final steps and send it off to Canada now.

Good luck with your application.

- WPG Daughter

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
WPG Daughter said:
I am in the process of doing the same thing - my mother was born in Canada and my sister and I were born in the U.S. I ordered my mother's birth certificate through vitalcerticates dot ca (not allowed to post links) and paid for the express processing (expensive but much faster).

You should also get a certified copy of your own birth certificate from the state of your birth which lists your parents names and place of birth. If I understand the application form correctly (no guarantee that I do), we need to send the actual copy of the birth certificates that we get from Canada and the states rather than photocopies.

I'm also in S. Cal and have been working on this for a while. Almost ready to do the final steps and send it off to Canada now.

Good luck with your application.

- WPG Daughter
You can send the original certificates or certified copies. You can have copies certified at Canadian consulates, by notaries (in states where it's allowed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_copy), and *possibly* by persons in certain professions: http://www.immigrationdirect.ca/blog/2012/07/18/what-is-a-certified-copy/

WPG Daughter

Feb 17, 2017
alphazip said:
You can send the original certificates or certified copies. You can have copies certified at Canadian consulates, by notaries (in states where it's allowed: ), and *possibly* by persons in certain professions:
Thanks for your feedback. California apparently does not allow notaries to notarize vital documents. I guess we can try a Canadian consulate but for me that would be 3 or 4 hours of driving so I will probably send the "official" copies. The terminology "certified copy" is ambiguous. The copies the state or country send to you are themselves certified copies. Then you can possibly get certified copies of certified copies if your state allows it. Calling it a notarized photocopy would be more helpful if that is what is allowed.

p.s. what do we have to do to post a link? I keep getting error messages that say "Sorry, you are not allowed to post links." but obviously you can.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
WPG Daughter said:
Thanks for your feedback. California apparently does not allow notaries to notarize vital documents. I guess we can try a Canadian consulate but for me that would be 3 or 4 hours of driving so I will probably send the "official" copies. The terminology "certified copy" is ambiguous. The copies the state or country send to you are themselves certified copies. Then you can possibly get certified copies of certified copies if your state allows it. Calling it a notarized photocopy would be more helpful if that is what is allowed.

p.s. what do we have to do to post a link? I keep getting error messages that say "Sorry, you are not allowed to post links." but obviously you can.
You need to have more posts on the forum before you'll be able to post links. This is in place to prevent spamming.