+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can "grades not matter"?

shiv__22

Jan 6, 2019
I've seen some posts where the replies are saying immigration dont care about grades. i cant see how they cant..
1.firstly its a study permit.
2..isnt that the reason that students are only permitted to work 20hrs during school sessions so they can concentrate on studies
3.says something about students are expected to finish program in a satisfactory timely manner
Wouldnt marks, probation, withdrawal,changing programs ect. raise a red flag to immigration when it comes extending study permits,visitor visas, sowp that the students could be just stalling not to return home.,

Mary Zhang

May 13, 2019
Markahm
Category........
The things that matter include
  • That you've been accepted into a Designated Learning Institution (it is the school that cares about your grades, not IRCC)
  • That you will complete the program in the amount of time it normally takes to finish the program
  • That you demonstrate that you will leave Canada when the degree/diploma/program has been completed
The reason you are limited to 20 hours per week is indeed because you are supposed to be studying, not working. What they are actually trying to prevent is people using the study permit program as a way of getting around work permit requirements, which are stricter (in terms of working, anyway).

It's possible that a history of changing schools and programs could conceivably raise red flags for IRCC, but I would guess that there would have to be a long history of that before they would care. Study permits are limited in terms of time and scope. The approval of the first study permit is about that program at that institution, and not some theoretical change to another program and school in the future that may never happen. Does that make sense?