+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How can a Convention Refugee apply for permanent Resident

CanDude76

Feb 2, 2016
Dear Experts,
I created this thread because people who want to apply for their PR can be benefited from this.
I got the positive response from IRB. I have my family back home.
I need your expert opinion on "how I can apply for permanent Resident" and how can I
include my family in that application.
I would also like comments from those people who have already applied for PR. what difficulties they have faced? and what are the lessons learnt?. Can you please indicate those mistakes which normally people do and how can we avoid those in order to get process speedy.
Please also tell about the forms and processing fee and processing time.
I am really grateful for your help and support.
regards,

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
its quite simple
goto http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/refugee.asp

download all the forms and fill them (if you face any problem or find any thing confusing, post your question here and lots of people may help you)
-do not forget to fill the checklist form.

How to add your dependents in your application:

while filling the "Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008)" answer YES to the question below:-
Q 11) will accompany the principal applicant to Canada? (choose YES)

Common Mistakes:

1) when ever you send the final package make sure you are sending the correct updated forms:
on the link mentioned above every form has a date mentioned after the form link. so make sure you are sending the latest/updated forms. if the forms changed before CIC received your Pr application then they will send your application back.

2) provide complete and accurate information:
incomplete forms are also sent back. so make sure you have completed every part of the forms.

3) Always double check the signatures

4) when writing about personal history in (Schedule A background/declaration form):
do not leave no gap in time and if any gap found it will result in a delay in the processing of your application. so double check every thing before submitting your application

Example: activity of a person from 2010 to 2015

Gap of time
-From- -TO- Activity- City or town Name of company
2013/6 2015/2 Supervisor Halifax CIC corp
2012/5 2013/2 Marketing Manager Toronto ABC international

in the above example you will find gap in time

Now the same above example without gap in time showing past activity (jan,2010 to april,2015)

-From- -TO- Activity- City or town Name of company
2015/2 2015/4 Unemployed toronto address where staying, street etc
2013/6 2015/2 Supervisor Halifax CIC corp
2013/2 2013/6 unemployed Halifax address where staying, street etc
2012/5 2013/2 Marketing Manager Toronto ABC international company
2011/9 2012/5 unemployed Toronto home address xyz street
2010/1 2011/9 Student Toronto PQR college of business

so there is no gap in time in the above from January 2010 to april 2015 and not a single day or month is missing

NOTE:
Provide the details of your personal history since the age of 18, or the past 10 years, whichever is most recent.

Start with the most recent information. Under “Activity”, write your occupation or job title if you were working. If you were not working, provide information on what you were doing (for example: unemployed, studying, travelling, retired, in detention, etc.). If you were outside your country of nationality, indicate your status in that country.

And If you need more space, attach a separate sheet of paper.

Separate sheet of paper:
create a world document in your computer which can look like this template (depending on the form/question):-

Additional Sheet
Additional Family information

Name: (your name/principal applicant)
UCI #: (your uci number)

Section C (brother and sisters)
Name - Relationship - Date of birth - Place of birth - Marital Status - Present Address
xyz sister yyyy-mm-dd ABC single pqr abs hdehf

get a print of the additional sheet and attach it with the form.

5) provide all possible supporting documents related to you and your dependents identity

6) generally these are the documents which are or can be attached if you have them( all photocopies.. no original)

a) your passport copy
b) your national identity card/document
c) your birth certificate
d) your educational certificates/degrees (if available)
e) your marriage certificate
f) your dependents passport, birth certificates and identity documents, educational certificates/degrees (which ever you have)
g) your notice of decision ( important)
h) your refugee claimant id
i) medical exam receipt/confirmation
j) fee payment receipt (very important)
k) your 2 photos as per cic specifications (write your name and uci # at the back of your photos)

Note: English Translation of any document listed above which is in any other language.

7) if your dependents are already in canada:
getting their upfront medicals can save time

8) Police reports:
if you have lived in any country other than your home country for more than 6 months then it is better to get a police report from that country. if it will take time to get the police report skip this step and send your application but remain prepared to get a police report from that country as cic will/may request the police reports later during the processing of your application.

9) do not staple your forms or any other documents attached, keep them loose

10) Once you thing everything is done..review all the application ( read all the answers again, names, date of birth etc, they should be as per your passport)

11) once you complete the whole application and it is ready to send, make photocopy of the whole package for your records (very important)

12) Always send your application package through registered courier company who offer tracking and acknowledgment (signature of the receiving person).

13) once you send it wait and wait and wait till you hear something back from CIC.. :)

Remember: if you mention your email address you will not get a physical letter or mail correspondence from CIC, they will only communicate with you through email. SO make a habit for checking your SPAM mails too (as an important email from cic may go into your spam mail box and you might never know).

Will post if any other important thing comes in my mind...for now cheers..and i hope it helps

CanDude76

Feb 2, 2016
Dear Kriv,
I am grateful for your kind support. Its really very important and detailed post for those convention refugees who need to apply for PR.
That great help.
Stay blessed.
Regards