+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How being dual citizen of UK and Tunisia affect my PR and Citizenship?

nkam

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
I am a PR from Tunisia, applied for Canadian Citizenship on 7 June 2015. I was granted UK citizenship later in August 2015. Would my UK citizenship prevent me from being eligble for Canadian citizenship? Would it be possible to renter Canada as PR on my new UK passport given that my PR was issued based on my Tunisian citizenship? When do I have to inform CIC that I am already a dual citizen? Am I obliged to declare my UK citizenship? I am anxious that I may loose my eligibility for Canadian citizenship and I continue to have strong ties with Canada where I intend to live in future.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nkam said:
I am a PR from Tunisia, applied for Canadian Citizenship on 7 June 2015. I was granted UK citizenship later in August 2015. Would my UK citizenship prevent me from being eligble for Canadian citizenship? Would it be possible to renter Canada as PR on my new UK passport given that my PR was issued based on my Tunisian citizenship? When do I have to inform CIC that I am already a dual citizen? Am I obliged to declare my UK citizenship? I am anxious that I may loose my eligibility for Canadian citizenship and I continue to have strong ties with Canada where I intend to live in future.
It doesn't matter how many other citizenships you possess. What matters is the number of days you have resided in Canada and filed Canadian tax returns.

banrad

Star Member
May 4, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Citizenship of another country does not affect your eligibility for Canadian citizenship in any way. Entering Canada on your UK passport should not be a problem. Maintaining your PR status in Canada could be if you don't meet the PR criteria, e.g. time spent outside Canada.

You're obliged to divulge the information about your UK citizenship when/if asked about any changes in the information as captured in your citizenship application, which is a usual and standard question at a citizenship interview (conducted after the citizenship test).

In addition, as you applied for Canadian citizenship in June and acquired British citizenship in August, I assume you had had a permanent resident status or the equivalent in the UK, which you were supposed to divulge in your Canadian citizenship application.

If I were a CIC officer, I'd have serious doubts that you would be able to meet the residency criteria in both countries, UK and Canada, in parallel, considering you received your UK citizenship the same year you applied for Canadian citizenship.
Your "strong ties" to Canada are close to irrelevant in terms of citizenship eligibility if you can't satisfy the officer that you meet the requirements of physical residency/presence in Canada, as alphazip said.

nkam

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
Thanks for your response, I acquired my residency in the UK well before landing in Canada and thus permenant residency status was "before" arrival to Canada. Hence, I was silent on the realetd question in the citizenship application which was submitted before 11/06/15.
It makes sense to divulge the change in circumstances and will therefore rerurn to Canada on the British passport and the PR card which was issued on the Tunisian passport which was lost and I no more possess. My main concern is the nationality on the PR will no more match that of the British passport and hence, I may not be allowed in on my PR unless I enter as a visitor. I am totally confused and will appreciate some insights.
What is the likely outcome if my residency in Canada is brought into question?

nkam

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
Thanks guys for your insights, I filed my tax treturns on time for four years, would this suffice to demonstrate eligibility given that I lost my original Tunisian passport?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nkam said:
Thanks guys for your insights, I filed my tax treturns on time for four years, would this suffice to demonstrate eligibility given that I lost my original Tunisian passport?
No one can tell you what will or will not be considered sufficient proof, but you will be asked to produce all passports you possessed during the relevant 4-year period. If you lost your passport, that definitely isn't helpful. I would suggest that you order your CBSA entry record, if you haven't already done so, and take it with you when you're called for the test/interview.

nkam

Star Member
Dec 20, 2015
This is exactly what I did. The only valid passport I have is the UK one which has no stamps. Do you think acknowleging being British without given dates as when and how I earned the UK nationality will work?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nkam said:
This is exactly what I did. The only valid passport I have is the UK one which has no stamps. Do you think acknowleging being British without given dates as when and how I earned the UK nationality will work?
Will work for what? If you mean will they believe that's your only passport, no. They will look at the date it was issued and see you got it AFTER the relevant 4-year period. You need to show passports for the 4-year period you claimed in your application. What you would use to return to Canada is your PR card.