+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How are you related to your family member

GSFLORA

Mar 24, 2018
I am applying for Visitor Visa under 6 month to Canada. My son stays in Canada under PR status. I wonder what should be exact answer to question How are you related to your family member? explanation on the website is slightly confusing. Please help.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I am applying for Visitor Visa under 6 month to Canada. My son stays in Canada under PR status. I wonder what should be exact answer to question How are you related to your family member? explanation on the website is slightly confusing. Please help.
You are the parent.

You would also include some evidence as proof of relationship: Birth certificate, for example

GSFLORA

Mar 24, 2018
Thanks Bryanna for your reply. I also had the same understanding until I saw this explanation on clicking ? at the end of the question

The relationship is from your (the applicant's) point of view.

For example: If your parent lives in Canada you should choose 'They are my parent or step-parent'.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
The relationship is from your (the applicant's) point of view.
That's correct. You are the applicant even if your son actually fills the application.

For example: If your parent lives in Canada you should choose 'They are my parent or step-parent'.
You must answer 'Yes' to the Question" Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or PR?

And subsequently, you must select 'Parent/Grandparent' for the Question: How are you related to your family member?

reza.teimoori

Oct 1, 2018
I have a similar situation like GSFLORA meaning that my son lives in Canada and I am applying for a Canadian super-visa. What confuses me is that when I choose 'Parent/grandparent' to question 'How are you related to your family member?', I don't get the super-visa option, whereas selecting 'Child/grandchild' does give me an option for super-visa.
Bryanna, are you still sure that 'Parent/grandparent' is the correct answer to the mentioned question in my and GSFLORA's cases?

Reactions: swordenium

MS.Johal

Oct 3, 2018
I have a similar situation like GSFLORA meaning that my son lives in Canada and I am applying for a Canadian super-visa. What confuses me is that when I choose 'Parent/grandparent' to question 'How are you related to your family member?', I don't get the super-visa option, whereas selecting 'Child/grandchild' does give me an option for super-visa.
Bryanna, are you still sure that 'Parent/grandparent' is the correct answer to the mentioned question in my and GSFLORA's cases?
Hi Reza,
Did you get your answer? If yes, can you please share it here? Thank

ksw71

Aug 28, 2014
I haven't heard from anyone, so I ended up selecting 'Child/grandchild' for my application.
Hi Reza
I know it is an old thread from 2018 but I have same confusion you had. As you said you selected "Child/grandchild" option so did it work? Is it correct one? Did your parents get super visa?

Last edited: