+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how are import taxes & duty calculated on car from US to Canada..List price?

mahalia

Oct 24, 2011
I'm really confused about this..I have a 7 year old american car I'm planning on importing into Canada when I move back there. How are duty & taxes and GST calculated? On the List price new? Or depreciated price or what? I bought it used in 2004, paid $21,000. Do they go from there with the 7% GST or what? If anyone answers PLEASE BE REALLY SPECIFIC. Thanks. (actually , after I finished paying off the high interest rate..it was closer to $30,000. with the loan). Would they go by that? ??????????????????????????

jayde

Feb 18, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-3-2011
File Transfer...
03-05-2011
Med's Done....
03-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
04-11-2011 WOO HOO!!!
If one of you is immigrating to Canada, it would be classified as "settlers effects" and you would not have to pay duty or taxes.

hoping75

Nov 5, 2007
As a returning Canadian you get to import cars as well as any other items thar are 10,000 or less that you have owned at least 6 months before you cross.. If one item has the value of more than 10,000 you do pay import taxes on it. As far as the value of the car it is calculated at it's current book value, not your original purchase price. I went to a local dealer and asked for a letter on their letter head with the current value they would give the car. I explained why I needed the letter, and they gladly wrote one up for me. If you don't have the letter they will just look up the value in the blue book.

I must add that if you go to the canadian customs website it lists the cars that you are allowed and not allowed to import. Some cars are not allowed into Canada, as well as some cars need customizations done to them to qualify. Once here all cars need daytime running lights, I had to have them added to my car. Most cars are no problem, but I would recommend you check first.

To let you know you must send your title, copy of both sides of your drivers license and bill of sale if you have it to the American border wher you will be crossing at least 3 days before you cross, so they can clear the title and give you a clearance to take to the Canadian Customs office when you cross. You pick up the clearance form at the US side right before you cross. My crossin was not open on the US side on weekends or after 9:00 PM so you may want to contact them to know their hours, and to get the correct address to send your paperwork. They will tell you if you need any other paperwork also. I crossed 2 years ago, and that is what was needed then. I did have to pay a 125.00 for crossing the car, as well as get it inspected in Canada.

If you are bringing other items there are forms online that you fill out listing all of your belongings including the car, and the current value of each item . YOu will present this list when you cross with your items also.

mahalia said:
I'm really confused about this..I have a 7 year old american car I'm planning on importing into Canada when I move back there. How are duty & taxes and GST calculated? On the List price new? Or depreciated price or what? I bought it used in 2004, paid $21,000. Do they go from there with the 7% GST or what? If anyone answers PLEASE BE REALLY SPECIFIC. Thanks. (actually , after I finished paying off the high interest rate..it was closer to $30,000. with the loan). Would they go by that? ??????????????????????????

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is the potential for having to pay taxes on an imported car. Mine was so old (18 years old) that they decided it's value was so ridiculously low that they wouldn't tax me (at customs). And the RIV stuff also did not apply to my car because it was so old, but I think there are often fees with the RIV too. There are some good comments/threads on here from this summer (I think) about importing cars; maybe those could provide more info too?

mahalia

Oct 24, 2011
Thanks to everyone who answered me on this..it really cleared things up. I may be better off flying.