Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-2-11
Doc's Request.
18-2-11
AOR Received.
18-4-11
Hi folks, I have filed tax return for the first time around mid April-16 . I filed it electronically Netfile (StudioTax 2015) and I am registered to receive email notifications from CRA. Then I tried registering for My Account in CRA, but I cannot register for it (apparently first time filers can't).

So when and how will I get/access the Notice of Assessment? Should I send in a paper application ? Please help. ???

Thanks

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Gudlife said:
Hi folks, I have filed tax return for the first time around mid April-16 . I filed it electronically Netfile (StudioTax 2015) and I am registered to receive email notifications from CRA. Then I tried registering for My Account in CRA, but I cannot register for it (apparently first time filers can't).

So when and how will I get/access the Notice of Assessment? Should I send in a paper application ? Please help. ???

Thanks
Your NOA will be mailed to you. I'm surprised to hear that you can't register for MyAccount as of yet. Perhaps it's because CRA hasn't created a file for you yet. Once your filing has been processed, and the relevant details uploaded to your account, you should be able to register for My Account. Keep trying and I'm sure it will work within the next week or two.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will need to phone CRA anyways for the security code for your My account.

Gudlife

Aug 30, 2012
Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
SGVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-2-11
Doc's Request.
18-2-11
AOR Received.
18-4-11
torontosm said:
Your NOA will be mailed to you. I'm surprised to hear that you can't register for MyAccount as of yet. Perhaps it's because CRA hasn't created a file for you yet. Once your filing has been processed, and the relevant details uploaded to your account, you should be able to register for My Account. Keep trying and I'm sure it will work within the next week or two.
steaky said:
You will need to phone CRA anyways for the security code for your My account.
Thanks, do you know how long I should wait to receive NOA by mail? I filed on 18-Apr-16. +1 for you

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gudlife said:
Thanks, do you know how long I should wait to receive NOA by mail? I filed on 18-Apr-16. +1 for you
Canada Post is unpredictable. For example, I got my neighbor's mail and she got her other neighbor's mail.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I thought first time filers can't use netfile
did they change that?

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
pie_vancouver said:
I thought first time filers can't use netfile
did they change that?
Nope, still correct.

When you used Studio Tax it said that you cannot Netfile a first time return, the return should have been printed and mailed. I would recommend calling the CRA and probably print and mail your return if you didn't already.

If you owed taxes I would rush it as penalties and interest will accumulate.

If you didn't owe, it will just delay your refund until you do it properly.

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
You can file the tax return electronically, even if this is your first tax return. I done that with studio tax 2015, during the process you get some warnings about that CRA should have your date of birth, but there were no problems - at the end you get the confirmation number and thats it.

Then when you get the NOA via mail you can create my account on the CRA site. To create account you need your basic personal data + information from the NOA (amount at some line).

When my account is first created it is limited in functionality. You can see basic things, but to have full functionality you must request the authorisation code. You can send the request from within my account, no need for a phone call. After few days you get the authorization code via mail, you enter it into my account and you get full functionality.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
If first time filer can netfile the return then they should change this on their website:
You can’t use NETFILE to file your tax return if:

you are filing an income tax and benefit return for the first time with the CRA and the CRA does not have your complete date of birth on record
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce/tx/ndvdls/netfile-impotnet/lgblty-eng.html