+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How absence is calculated? Thanks.

ecoyo

Jan 7, 2013
HI,

In doing the residence calculation, if I left Canada at noon on Feb 18 and come back in the morning of Feb 20? How many days of absence is that?

When counting 4 years back from application date, for example 4 years from today Feb 18, 2013, what if I was absent from Canada on Feb 18 - 20, 2009? How many days of absence would that be? Thanks a lot!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For citizenship, you count the nights so if you left on Feb. 18th and came back on the 20th, you have been gone for 2 days.

PR residency requirements are different as they allow you to count days in Canada as long as you spent some part of the day in Canada. If you were counting the same trip for PR residency requirements, you would only have been gone for 1 day.

ecoyo

Jan 7, 2013
Thank you very much Leon.

Do you have the website link to the information you provided for my reference? Thanks.

aamer43

May 6, 2009
Hi, i need clarity on how to show absence in the application form under ADDRESS HISTORY, as per CIC (https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/redir.do?redir=faq) see QUS 4 it is clear how absence is calculated but i am wondering how will i mentioned it on the application form.

e.g if i leave for US on July 1 and come back on July 15, what should i mention in address details

From July 1: US ADDRESS
To
From July 15: US ADDRESS

OR

From July 2: US ADDRESS
To
From July 14: US ADDRESS

Any Other ..??

aamer43

May 6, 2009
aamer43 said:
Hi, i need clarity on how to show absence in the application form under ADDRESS HISTORY, as per CIC (https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/redir.do?redir=faq) see QUS 4 it is clear how absence is calculated but i am wondering how will i mentioned it on the application form.

e.g if i leave for US on July 1 and come back on July 15, what should i mention in address details

From July 1: US ADDRESS
To
From July 15: US ADDRESS

OR

From July 2: US ADDRESS
To
From July 14: US ADDRESS

Any Other ..??

Those who have already applied and filled out their citizenship application, please help out

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to use the citizenship calculator entering your travel dates and as long as that is accurate, you should be fine. The citizenship calculator does not ask for your address. If you left Canada on July 1st 2013, you enter an absence starting on July 1st 2013. If you came back on July 15th, you set the end date of the absence as July 15th.

As for your address history in the citizenship application itself, at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp it states:

Question 6E
Write all your Canadian addresses for the last four (4) years, including the postal codes.
If you were residing, employed or attending school outside Canada, you must also list all your foreign addresses, including the postal codes.
So you do not have to list a US address if you were just in the US for 2 weeks on vacation. You would only have to list addresses if you were residing, employed or attending school outside Canada.

aamer43

May 6, 2009
Hi Leon,

Thank you so much for the clarification, i also went back home for 2 months to meet family so in that case should i write my home address or i can skip it.

lilua

Jun 11, 2013
Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
You need to use the citizenship calculator entering your travel dates and as long as that is accurate, you should be fine. The citizenship calculator does not ask for your address. If you left Canada on July 1st 2013, you enter an absence starting on July 1st 2013. If you came back on July 15th, you set the end date of the absence as July 15th.

As for your address history in the citizenship application itself, at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp it states:

So you do not have to list a US address if you were just in the US for 2 weeks on vacation. You would only have to list addresses if you were residing, employed or attending school outside Canada.

If somebody was in vacation for two months and list addresses of foreign destination then what will happen?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aamer43 said:
Hi Leon,

Thank you so much for the clarification, i also went back home for 2 months to meet family so in that case should i write my home address or i can skip it.
Is it really so hard to understand? During the two months, did you work or attend school? If not, you do not include the address.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lilua said:
If somebody was in vacation for two months and list addresses of foreign destination then what will happen?
It's unlikely that anything will happen. They will see that you were there for a short time.

dear_pnp

Jan 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
Is it really so hard to understand? During the two months, did you work or attend school? If not, you do not include the address.
It is a little hard to comprehend for others.

You said work or school. When you say work, does business trips count as Work? Business trips can be lengthy as well upto 4 months.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dear_pnp said:
It is a little hard to comprehend for others.

You said work or school. When you say work, does business trips count as Work? Business trips can be lengthy as well upto 4 months.
He was not asking about a business trip. He was asking about a visit to his family.

dear_pnp

Jan 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
He was not asking about a business trip. He was asking about a visit to his family.
Thanks for the reply. But i was speaking in a general context and not referring to his query.