+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How a New PR works in Ontario as self employed

andyzpl

Jul 29, 2017
Shanghai, China
NOC Code......
As I will be landing in Ontario soon from China as a valid PR of Canada, both my current employer (a German company) and I want to continue working together for several months or even longer after I arrive in Canada. However, my current company doesn't have (or plan to open) a legal entity in Canada.

Thus, my questions are:
- Are there any authorities in Canada who I can work as a freelancer and get paid by invoicing to my current company for my external consulting work.
- Alternatively, I was also recommended to two ways that one is opening my own firm in Canada for dealing with invoicing and payment, the other is working as a self employed person in Canada, which I can personally issue invoicing my external consulting work to my current company and get paid.

Please help to check which way is doable or more promising for my case. Very much looking forward to your comments:)

Bhavikjazzy

Jun 3, 2017
Hello,

I am not an expert here. But I think you can work here as self-employed and issue invoice to your company from here. Then at the year end you have enough documents to show in tax-return. You can give your current employer your new bank details once you have it.

You'll have to follow same process if you have your own firm. The way you fill income tax returns for your firm and yourself changes.

Regards,
Bhavik

Reactions: andyzpl

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments. Self-employed sounds good to my case:)
If it's just going to be a short term (e.g. 6 months) arrangement, then go the self-employed route. Opening a company, getting a HST number, filing the paperwork and then closing a company is a lot of hassle to go through if it's not a long term initiative.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
If your income will be over $30k over four rolling calendar quarters, then it is mandatory to get a HST number, opening a company and getting a HST number are two different things. If you fail to register, then there is a high possibility the Government will go ahead and register you retroactively, and you will be responsible for any penalties and interest