01-08-2015
Passport Req..
01-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
April 21 2016
Hi,

What are the pre-requisite for renting an apartment on a yearly contract in Montreal ? Are there in particulars that a new immigrant should be aware of when dealing with landlords, payments and contracts ?

atzquebec

Aug 6, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
01-08-2015
Passport Req..
01-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
April 21 2016
Any suggestions ?

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Although I am not in Montreal and I currently live on Ontario, one thing that I know for sure is that you will need to sign a 1 year long lease. This rule is applicable all across Canada. There is no concept of lease breakage as such - which means if you need to move before your lease completes, you will have to find another tenant to "sub-let" the apartment for the remaining period of your lease. However, depending on the management company of the property, they may have some exceptions included, like moving because of the job etc. But I would suggest you clearly understand all the leasing rules form the apartment management you are planning to rent from.
Secondly, they will need to see some proof of income in order to approve your application for lease. A letter from your employer stating your salary and employment details should be good enough for that. Proof of income from any one of the applicants should be sufficient. They are basically trying to make sure that you will be able to pay the rent every month.
Thirdly, there is a background check involved that all the property management companies would do before approving your application.
Finally, there are application fees involved (per applicant, i.e. you and your spouse will be two applicants for this purpose). These are usually non-refundable.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
If you do not have a job or source of income currently, you can look at AirBnb, or local immigration services to see if there are any places where you can stay temporarily until you find a job and are ready to move into another apartment for longer term.

atzquebec

Aug 6, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
01-08-2015
Passport Req..
01-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
April 21 2016
Thanks for this useful info.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Although I am not in Montreal and I currently live on Ontario, one thing that I know for sure is that you will need to sign a 1 year long lease. This rule is applicable all across Canada. There is no concept of lease breakage as such - which means if you need to move before your lease completes, you will have to find another tenant to "sub-let" the apartment for the remaining period of your lease. However, depending on the management company of the property, they may have some exceptions included, like moving because of the job etc. But I would suggest you clearly understand all the leasing rules form the apartment management you are planning to rent from.
Secondly, they will need to see some proof of income in order to approve your application for lease. A letter from your employer stating your salary and employment details should be good enough for that. Proof of income from any one of the applicants should be sufficient. They are basically trying to make sure that you will be able to pay the rent every month.
Thirdly, there is a background check involved that all the property management companies would do before approving your application.
Finally, there are application fees involved (per applicant, i.e. you and your spouse will be two applicants for this purpose). These are usually non-refundable.
There is lease breakage. It is rather common in Alberta these days due to economic downturn. In Alberta, tenants can also sign a 6 months lease. Personally, I had even signed a 3 months lease in BC.

Reactions: yodheydhara

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
There is lease breakage. It is rather common in Alberta these days due to economic downturn. In Alberta, tenants can also sign a 6 months lease. Personally, I had even signed a 3 months lease in BC.
Wow, thats some relieving news. I was told that this was the rule throughout Canada by the management company here!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Wow, thats some relieving news. I was told that this was the rule throughout Canada by the management company here!!
I would still say a 1 year lease is most likely what a landlord wants especially in a tight rental market. You may be able to find a shorter lease if you pay more. Breaking a lease will come with consequences. Depending on the lease you could be responsible for paying for the remainder of your lease while some landlords may let you find a subletter or let you leave after giving your 2 months notice. I suspect that some landlords let their tenants out of their lease in AB rather than have them not be able to pay and having it take months to evict them. It would have been more expensive for them to keep the tenants in the property with little chance of being able to recoup the unpaid rent because the tenants didn't have any money.

Reactions: yodheydhara