+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Housing downtown Toronto

4axel

Jan 14, 2019
Hello,

I recently got my CoPR and will be landing in July. I can't move earlier because of family issues and work. I will also be starting an MBA at UofT in the fall.
I am looking for housing as I am currently on the waitlist for graduate housing and it's not guaranteed I'll get a spot. What are the best areas in downtown? Also any advice on how to secure housing before I land?

Thank you ^^

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I recently got my CoPR and will be landing in July. I can't move earlier because of family issues and work. I will also be starting an MBA at UofT in the fall.
I am looking for housing as I am currently on the waitlist for graduate housing and it's not guaranteed I'll get a spot. What are the best areas in downtown? Also any advice on how to secure housing before I land?

Thank you ^^
Will really depend on your budget and what size of housing you are looking for. Bot sure what you mean by best areas of the city. Would suggest being within walking distance if you budget allows it because of convenience and school accessibility. Securing housing before arriving can be difficult. Do you have family in Canada? Will also depend on your budget. You can likely secure a condo if you are able to pay a large portion of the rent upfront. Many owners especially international owners are not as concerned about having someone meet the tenant.

Did you advise U of T that you will be changing to a domestic students? The entry requirements tend to much more difficult for domestic students.

4axel

Jan 14, 2019
Will really depend on your budget and what size of housing you are looking for. Bot sure what you mean by best areas of the city. Would suggest being within walking distance if you budget allows it because of convenience and school accessibility. Securing housing before arriving can be difficult. Do you have family in Canada? Will also depend on your budget. You can likely secure a condo if you are able to pay a large portion of the rent upfront. Many owners especially international owners are not as concerned about having someone meet the tenant.
Thanks, I would prefer a 1bedroom 1 bath but I am also fine with sharing a house. My max is $1,500 a month. By best areas, I meant safest. Like for example in Baltimore, MD there are streets/blocks that best avoided because of gang activities. So I want to get an idea of how downtown is. I would prefer something close to the St. George campus but I can also deal with a commute that is less than 40 min (used to commute for 3 hrs on way across states whew). I really want to secure housing for at least a year before I move because I know no one (do my sister's friends count? lol), my peeps are all in the US. I'm thinking of looking at rentals at kijiji.ca but I was worried I won't be able to secure one before I land. Maybe my best option would be to book an Airbnb and look for rental when I move. On average how long does it take for people to secure permanent housing after they move?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks, I would prefer a 1bedroom 1 bath but I am also fine with sharing a house. My max is $1,500 a month. By best areas, I meant safest. Like for example in Baltimore, MD there are streets/blocks that best avoided because of gang activities. So I want to get an idea of how downtown is. I would prefer something close to the St. George campus but I can also deal with a commute that is less than 40 min (used to commute for 3 hrs on way across states whew). I really want to secure housing for at least a year before I move because I know no one (do my sister's friends count? lol), my peeps are all in the US. I'm thinking of looking at rentals at kijiji.ca but I was worried I won't be able to secure one before I land. Maybe my best option would be to book an Airbnb and look for rental when I move. On average how long does it take for people to secure permanent housing after they move?
Most downtown areas are very safe. Anything walking distance to the St. George campus is very safe (I live in that area). If you want to be walking distance, you'll be a bit hard pressed to find your own place for $1,500 - rentals are also in short supply. I would recommend you do the airbnb thing when you first get here and then find a place to lve. Most landlords won't deal with you until you are here in person. Careful on kijiji - lots of scams.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are also competing with a campus full of students so finding a rental for September 1st is very challenging. Would personally avoid some areas which have a high concentration of public housing. Places around Sherbourne between Bloor and Dundas is not my favourite area.

Would make sure you are in contact with Rotman about your desire to become a domestic student. Would certainly be a big expense if you arrive and they tell you they want to reevaluate your application as a domestic student and tell you that you are no longer admitted.

4axel

Jan 14, 2019
You are also competing with a campus full of students so finding a rental for September 1st is very challenging. Would personally avoid some areas which have a high concentration of public housing. Places around Sherbourne between Bloor and Dundas is not my favourite area.

Would make sure you are in contact with Rotman about your desire to become a domestic student. Would certainly be a big expense if you arrive and they tell you they want to reevaluate your application as a domestic student and tell you that you are no longer admitted.
Hello,

Thank you for this. I had mentioned that in my interview and asked them about the process too but I will notify them now that I have received my CoPR