+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hours of work required for PR in Canada - Shift Work

ZaraC

May 19, 2019
I was hoping someone could shed some light on applying for PR and the hours of work required.
I understand that for PR you are required to have x1 year of full time work ( at least 30 hours/week ) or x2 years of part time work ( 15 hours/week )

I am working shift work - so I am a little confused as to where I fall with these requirements?

Basically : I worked Full Time ( July 2018 - November 2018 ; 30-40hours/week). I then got a better job closer related to my field of work but it is shift work ( 12 hour shifts, 24/7 ). My contract is Part-Time 0.75, which basically means I work 15 shifts over the space of 6 weeks ( with the option to pick up extra shifts ) Average total hours worked in 6 weeks = 180 ( incl lunch break ) Which averages out as 30 hours per week. However because I work shift work as mentioned, I could go a full 7 days without working and then work 48+ hours in one week. I also understand that any hours worked above 30 hours/week aren't considered for PR.

I will be in Canada x 1 year this June and hoping to start my application for PR this July, however I am really unsure If I even qualify for the required amount of hours worked.

If anyone else has experienced this also or has any advice I would really appreciate it.