+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hotel and restaurant management

kostya.k

May 18, 2010
Good evening everybody, I am new to this forum hopefully you will be able to faciliate my understanding of immigration laws of Canada. I am currently studying at college in Hospitality program(Hotel and restaurant management, post secondary diploma). The program takes 16 months and I willbe graduating from it in April 2011. I'd like to apply under Canadian experienced class after working one year in this industry;however, in order to apply my wrok experince should be either Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or
Skill Level A (professional occupations) or
Skill Level B (technical occupations and skilled trades)
according to the NOC. I just wanted to be sure that I understood it well. 1.Skill type should be either 0631 or 0632 (management postions in hospitality or restaurant field) and skill level A stands for university education whereas skill level B stands for college education. Since I am in college my skill level will be B and "DO I HAVE TO OCCUPY MANAGEMENT POSITIONS to be eligble to apply? Besides that I have a B.A in economy from my country, yet I don't have an experience in this field. After graduating should I apply under federal program( must be done outside of Canada, interview, porccesing time is probably longer) or just work couple of years and then apply( I don't think that anybody would hire as the manager right from the begining, even though I am studying hard and soon will get a work permit(off campus, perhaps I am too naive to find a decent job during my studies). 2 for how many years may I get a postgardute work permit If I am studying for 16 months(fast track program ), is it for 16 months or 2 years?

sorry for being too wordy; however, I can't figure this out since none of those paralegals I referd to, gave an appropriate answer.
thank you
Kosta kogan
Toronto

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello KK, you are mostly right.

kostya.k said:
Good evening everybody, I am new to this forum hopefully you will be able to faciliate my understanding of immigration laws of Canada. I am currently studying at college in Hospitality program(Hotel and restaurant management, post secondary diploma). The program takes 16 months and I willbe graduating from it in April 2011. I'd like to apply under Canadian experienced class after working one year in this industry;however, in order to apply my wrok experince should be either Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or
Skill Level A (professional occupations) or
Skill Level B (technical occupations and skilled trades)

So far, so good, correct up until now.

according to the NOC. I just wanted to be sure that I understood it well. 1.Skill type should be either 0631 or 0632 (management postions in hospitality or restaurant field) and skill level A stands for university education whereas skill level B stands for college education. Since I am in college my skill level will be B and "DO I HAVE TO OCCUPY MANAGEMENT POSITIONS to be eligble to apply?

Qualifying experience can be any occupation that is classified as NOC O, A, or B. The NOC level is attached to the job, not your educational qualifications. If you can find an employer willing to hire you, you can qualify using experience in any occupation in the levels O, A or B. (Although, if you are clearly unqualified for the position, it will look suspicious). It does NOT have to be a management position. It does not have to be related to your degree.

The NOC guide does suggest that NOC A likely requires a university degree (minimum qualification), and that NOC B requires a college degree (minimum qualification), but these are not strict.

Besides that I have a B.A in economy from my country, yet I don't have an experience in this field. After graduating should I apply under federal program( must be done outside of Canada, interview, porccesing time is probably longer) or just work couple of years and then apply

Unless you have 1 year of full-time experience in a skilled occupation (any O, A, or B) you will not qualify under the Federal Skilled Workers program. (Not true that it must be done outside of Canada, but true that the processing time is probably longer). If you obtain your one year of full-time experience, you will qualify under either the CEC program or the FSW, but the application process for CEC is much easier.

So get that post-grad work permit (PGWP) and get some work experience! Even if you have to start at a lower level, if you can advance or get a promotion into a Skilled level and get your one year of skilled experience, you will be fine.

JayC

Jul 17, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are almost thinking for what work did you intended to apply. It might be that it was your first experience in work. You are educable for the work in the future,every can work using his/her idea and experience.

Irina_p

Jun 20, 2014
kostya.k said:

Kosta kogan
Toronto
Hi.I plan to take the same diploma.can you mail me about collage you studied.And everybody,please,who know about Hotel and restaurant management in Canada,mail me. :) pia_12@outlook.com