+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hong Kong timeline

LY123

Sep 5, 2018
My case: application for permanent residence under the spouse sponsorship

From mainland of China to Vancouver

# Timeline

1. Sent in application and paid the fees for Citizenship and Immigration to Mississauga Canada (May 2018)
2. Spousal eligibility passed (July 2018)
3. Submitted information/documents; medical examination passed (July 2018)
4. File was transferred to Consulate General of Canada in Hong Kong (August 2018)
5. Request Letter -requested to summit FBI clearance certificate and to severe ties in China (September 2018)
6. Applicant Eligibility passed; sent requested items to the consulate (January 2019)
7. Pre-arrival services & background check started (January 2019)
8. Bulletin 2 -Second pre-arrival letter (March 2019)
9. Application reached due date; requested GCMS Notes (May 2019)
10. ATIP -Requested an update to the CSIS (August 2019)
11. Re-did medical Examination (September 2019)
12. Background check completed; processing of application almost completed (September 2019)
13. Submitted passport to the Beijing Visa application center (September 2019)

# Remark

1. The processing times may vary with each case, and the background checks may be lengthy;
2. In my case, during the first 10 months (from step 1 to 8) everything was moving on smoothly till the Bulletin 2; however, it was followed by a terribly lengthy background check for 8 months;
3. In the step 5, in order to severe ties, we transferred our savings to CIBC, and mailed our belongings to one of my family living in Vancouver. It is worth noting that one of the requested items is the Letter of Resignation, but it is not usually required;
4. Politics and international relations may bring some impact on the process of background check. If you had ever worked for the government in some countries or government-run companies, the background check might be very lengthy. Unfortunately my case fell into this category;
5. In the step 9, after application reached due date, I had requested GCMS Notes several times. It charges 5 Canadian dollars for the service, which is not expensive but takes 30 days to email the note with your application status (For instance, you paid for GCMS Note on March 5th, then you should receive the note around April 5th, however, with the outdated application status on March 5th. To continue buying it or not, it's up to you);
6. During the course of background check, I have tried to contact the consulate via email many times, to request the latest updates on my application progress. I cannot remember how many times I have tried, but they always replied with an official template. So, never expect that the consulate officers would reveal any details of your background check, because it is not within their responsibility or authority;
7. We almost checked the progress bar every other day, and one day finally we decided to request an update to CSIS after it had been three months overdue. Whether it might be helpful or not, you should feel free request an update if it has been noticeably overdue, as a kind reminder;
8. The other day at the beginning of September, I received a notice to redo the medical examination, because the previous checkup result had expired after one year. The medical examination for immigrants was costly, but I had a hunch at the moment that my application has got a great step forward;
9. Two weeks later I received the notice that my application was almost completed. In the next morning, I submitted my passport to Beijing Visa application center. It is expected to get completed in two or three weeks in October;
10. It has been a unexpectedly long journey in my case, I started losing my patience and sometimes felt upset. In fact each case is unique and complicated, there is actually nothing much we can do but keep leading our life as usual and waiting patiently. Thanks to this website we had obtained useful information for reference, thank you and good luck!

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018

# Timeline

1. Sent in application and paid the fees for Citizenship and Immigration to Mississauga Canada (May 2018)
4. File was transferred to Consulate General of Canada in Hong Kong (August 2018)
5. Request Letter -requested to summit FBI clearance certificate and to severe ties in China (September 2018)
6. Applicant Eligibility passed; sent requested items to the consulate (January 2019)
12. Background check completed; processing of application almost completed (September 2019)

# Remark

1. The processing times may vary with each case, and the background checks may be lengthy;
2. In my case, during the first 10 months (from step 1 to 8) everything was moving on smoothly till the Bulletin 2; however, it was followed by a terribly lengthy background check for 8 months;
3. In the step 5, in order to severe ties, we transferred our savings to CIBC, and mailed our belongings to one of my family living in Vancouver. It is worth noting that one of the requested items is the Letter of Resignation, but it is not usually required;
4. Politics and international relations may bring some impact on the process of background check. If you had ever worked for the government in some countries or government-run companies, the background check might be very lengthy. Unfortunately my case fell into this category;
5. In the step 9, after application reached due date, I had requested GCMS Notes several times. It charges 5 Canadian dollars for the service, which is not expensive but takes 30 days to email the note with your application status (For instance, you paid for GCMS Note on March 5th, then you should receive the note around April 5th, however, with the outdated application status on March 5th. To continue buying it or not, it's up to you);
6. During the course of background check, I have tried to contact the consulate via email many times, to request the latest updates on my application progress. I cannot remember how many times I have tried, but they always replied with an official template. So, never expect that the consulate officers would reveal any details of your background check, because it is not within their responsibility or authority;
7. We almost checked the progress bar every other day, and one day finally we decided to request an update to CSIS after it had been three months overdue. Whether it might be helpful or not, you should feel free request an update if it has been noticeably overdue, as a kind reminder;
8. The other day at the beginning of September, I received a notice to redo the medical examination, because the previous checkup result had expired after one year. The medical examination for immigrants was costly, but I had a hunch at the moment that my application has got a great step forward;
9. Two weeks later I received the notice that my application was almost completed. In the next morning, I submitted my passport to Beijing Visa application center. It is expected to get completed in two or three weeks in October;
10. It has been a unexpectedly long journey in my case, I started losing my patience and sometimes felt upset. In fact each case is unique and complicated, there is actually nothing much we can do but keep leading our life as usual and waiting patiently. Thanks to this website we had obtained useful information for reference, thank you and good luck!
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. Your case was completed in almost 18 months, that is a LOOONG time! But congratulations to you that you completed the journey with an happy ending.

Western Mountain Man

Nov 2, 2018
Canada

# Timeline

# Remark

Wow, congratulations!
Your patience has 'paid off '. Hope you/spouse is ready for Canada?

Make sure you have a warm waterproof jacket for Vancouver area.
Woke up this morning and it was a bright 7 degrees outside.....Not too bad.
Glad I don't live in Alberta after their recent snow storm.

We dropped off our passport directly in person at the Beijing Visa application center.
Paid the fees and it was sent back by courier in 5 days.
Happy Camper

Last edited:

peggyc

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019

# Timeline

# Remark

Congratulations to you and thanks so much for the details. I felt the same "losing my patience and sometimes felt upset". I stuck in the security check for 5-6 months already. All i can see from my GCMS note is i had already passed the Eligibility, Criminal, Medical and Biographic but the "Security" item is still opening with no details. I don't know how many months I still have to wait before I can celebrate but i will keep my finger cross

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
Congratulations to you and thanks so much for the details. I felt the same "losing my patience and sometimes felt upset". I stuck in the security check for 5-6 months already. All i can see from my GCMS note is i had already passed the Eligibility, Criminal, Medical and Biographic but the "Security" item is still opening with no details. I don't know how many months I still have to wait before I can celebrate but i will keep my finger cross
We got stuck in security check for 4 months as well...

ericeric

Star Member
Apr 16, 2019

# Timeline

# Remark

Hello there, thanks for sharing your outline. Was wondering where did you order the GCM notes from?

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
Hey @ryester,

How would you guys know you are in security check? what has indicated that? did you have to order GCMS via ATIP request to find out?

Thank you
You don't need to order GCMS to find out. In GCKey account, you can see the following
Background check
  • We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
it used to be:
Background check
  • Your application is in progress.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
Haha, processing time is changed from 9 weeks to 57 days before hitting one year mark...Somehow I feel 57 days is longer than 8 weeks:D

ericeric

Star Member
Apr 16, 2019
Anyone have similar timeline as Me?

PA Side
Permanent Residence
  1. We received your application for permanent residence on May 15, 2019.
  2. We started processing your application on July 26, 2019.
  3. We sent you a letter on July 5, 2019. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
  4. We sent you medical instructions on July 9, 2019. To avoid delays, please provide us the information requested in the letter as soon as possible. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
Sent in requested doc on Aug 1st and nothing after that....