+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Home Support Worker Pilot Application: Will the New Policy Affect Me?

Aug 22, 2023
I applied for the Home Support Worker Pilot on April 27, 2023, under the gaining experience category. I had 19 months of work experience at that time, and I needed 24 months to qualify for permanent residence. I worked for an agency that sent me to a private client. I have uploaded my 12 months of experience with a webform and received an acknowledgement of receipt (AoR).

My question is: Will they reject my application because of the new policy that came into effect on April 30, 2023, which states that the employer cannot be an agency?

Hummingbird89

Mar 18, 2023
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
I applied for the Home Support Worker Pilot on April 27, 2023, under the gaining experience category. I had 19 months of work experience at that time, and I needed 24 months to qualify for permanent residence. I worked for an agency that sent me to a private client. I have uploaded my 12 months of experience with a webform and received an acknowledgement of receipt (AoR).

My question is: Will they reject my application because of the new policy that came into effect on April 30, 2023, which states that the employer cannot be an agency?
So far, they've been approving these. I called in to IRCC 2 weeks ago and asked them pointedly about this very scenario. They basically regurgitated everything already visible online related to the gaining experience category but could not tell me definitively about the experience proof portion of the application process and how agencies are viewed in that context. I encourage you to add me on social media or send me a text, because I really want to know the outcome. All the website says right now is that you cannot work in an institutional setting (nursing homes, day cares). I will direct message you with my phone number.

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018

This policy is not new, since 2019 IRCC has been talking about "Who is eligible as an Employer for Caregiver pilots"

Did you land under Caregiver pilots in 2021 and start working? If yes, then your PR should be approved.

Reactions: scylla

Hummingbird89

Mar 18, 2023
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
This policy is not new, since 2019 IRCC has been talking about "Who is eligible as an Employer for Caregiver pilots"

Did you land under Caregiver pilots in 2021 and start working? If yes, then your PR should be approved.
What if someone applied in 2022 and then goes in 2023 or 2024 to work under an agency?
I called and IRCC could not give an answer. Another guy emailed their info e-mailbox and they said there are no rulings on that.

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
What if someone applied in 2022 and then goes in 2023 or 2024 to work under an agency?
I called and IRCC could not give an answer. Another guy emailed their info e-mailbox and they said there are no rulings on that.
The work permit is "Occupation Restricted Open Work". However, applicants are landing to work for an employer. If they continue to work for same employer for 12 months, their PR application will be approved.

Aug 22, 2023
It

They always said individual employer but didn’t say
About business or agency.
My company owner is an individual employer.
So if they do not mention that they cannot be a business how do we know that? The change came after 30 April.
Can you show me that it said employer can not be business from 2019?

Aug 22, 2023
This was written before 30 April

Genuine and valid job offer

The job you're offered must be:

• made using Offer of Employment IMM 5983 (PDF, 2.33 MB).
  • full-time, which means at least 30 hours of paid work each week
  • from a Canadian employer
  • outside the province of Quebec
  • from an employer who's not an embassy, high commission or consulate
  • genuine, meaning there's a real need to hire you

The job you're offered must be in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) job that the pilot you apply for:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This was written before 30 April

Genuine and valid job offer

The job you're offered must be:

• made using Offer of Employment IMM 5983 (PDF, 2.33 MB).
  • full-time, which means at least 30 hours of paid work each week
  • from a Canadian employer
  • outside the province of Quebec
  • from an employer who's not an embassy, high commission or consulate
  • genuine, meaning there's a real need to hire you

The job you're offered must be in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) job that the pilot you apply for:
That's not all it said. It also said "individual employer".

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It

They always said individual employer but didn’t say
About business or agency.
My company owner is an individual employer.
So if they do not mention that they cannot be a business how do we know that? The change came after 30 April.
Can you show me that it said employer can not be business from 2019?
There was no change April 30th. All IRCC did was clarify the language. The "individual employer" statement was meant to indicate that the employer could not be a business. IRCC further clarified this wording with more specific language April 30th. They didn't change any rules.

Aug 22, 2023
An individual employer can be an agency, depending on the definition of agency and the context of the situation. For example, an agency can be:

• A business that provides services or workers to other businesses or individuals, such as a staffing agency, a travel agency, or a marketing agency. In this case, an agency can be an individual employer if it hires workers directly and pays them as employees or contractors. The agency would have to follow the same rules and regulations as any other individual employer, such as deducting and remitting taxes and contributions from the workers’ pay.

Hummingbird89

Mar 18, 2023
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
An individual employer can be an agency, depending on the definition of agency and the context of the situation. For example, an agency can be:

• A business that provides services or workers to other businesses or individuals, such as a staffing agency, a travel agency, or a marketing agency. In this case, an agency can be an individual employer if it hires workers directly and pays them as employees or contractors. The agency would have to follow the same rules and regulations as any other individual employer, such as deducting and remitting taxes and contributions from the workers’ pay.
I have a stack of rejection letters from people with agencies saved on my phone with IRCC giving them procedural fairness letters and 120 days to get rid of their agency. This is at the Gaining experience stage. The NOC also says you can work for yourself as an independent contractor but that's not what the pilot is about.

Also, I don't know what you're asking of me on Facebook.

Reactions: scylla