+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Home Support Worker/ Personal Support Worker

kycvc

Oct 19, 2020
Hello! I am a PGWP holder with an experience as a Nurse in my country. I want to become a Permanent Resident here in Canada and still looking for work that helps me to become PR. I just want to ask if I work as a HSW/PSW can help me to become a PR? If I work as a Caregiver can I use my PGWP or do I need to apply for a new permit? By the way, I'm planning to move to Alberta. Hope you can enlighten me! thank you.

JeanM.

Nov 15, 2020
Hi. I'm new here. Has anyone granted a work permit yet under HSWP? I just submitted mine last October 2020. I've read here that I have to wait for months and months. I'm applying from inside Canada and an international student. Does anyone know if I'm allowed to work full-time for 40 hours a week, while waiting for the decision of my application, given that I am only holding a study permit? I didn't apply for PGWP because the HCA program that I took doesn't offer PGWP. Thank you.

kikstaroxy

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
Hi. I'm new here. Has anyone granted a work permit yet under HSWP? I just submitted mine last October 2020. I've read here that I have to wait for months and months. I'm applying from inside Canada and an international student. Does anyone know if I'm allowed to work full-time for 40 hours a week, while waiting for the decision of my application, given that I am only holding a study permit? I didn't apply for PGWP because the HCA program that I took doesn't offer PGWP. Thank you.
A moment ago
You can always call them to verify. I did a couple of times. Same situation here. Loophole states that if you submit your application after completing studies and have received and signed for your credential, but before your study permit expires then you may work fulltime until you get your decision. This is granted that you had a wp alongside study permit during studies.

kikstaroxy

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
Hello! I am a PGWP holder with an experience as a Nurse in my country. I want to become a Permanent Resident here in Canada and still looking for work that helps me to become PR. I just want to ask if I work as a HSW/PSW can help me to become a PR? If I work as a Caregiver can I use my PGWP or do I need to apply for a new permit? By the way, I'm planning to move to Alberta. Hope you can enlighten me! thank you.
You can work using your pgwp. You can claim your nursing experience i believe check by calling ircc. Yes you may apply under hsw program for pr.

JeanM.

Nov 15, 2020
A moment ago
You can always call them to verify. I did a couple of times. Same situation here. Loophole states that if you submit your application after completing studies and have received and signed for your credential, but before your study permit expires then you may work fulltime until you get your decision. This is granted that you had a wp alongside study permit during studies.
Hi thanks for the reply. Are you currently in Canada too? If yes, are you holding a valid permit? When did you apply? I actually phoned IRCC and different agents have told me that I can work full-time but my employer won't allow me because their consultant told that applying for an application doesn't entitle me to work since the transition is from study to work permit.

kikstaroxy

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
Yes im in GTA. I had the same issue as im paid via the government funding agency who funds my employer. I had to give my employer some stuff i found via ircc to prove my eligibility. She wrote them a letter, provided the proof and they had no choice but to follow protocol.
Did you have a work permit allowing you to work off campus during your studies?

JeanM.

Nov 15, 2020
Yes im in GTA. I had the same issue as im paid via the government funding agency who funds my employer. I had to give my employer some stuff i found via ircc to prove my eligibility. She wrote them a letter, provided the proof and they had no choice but to follow protocol.
Did you have a work permit allowing you to work off campus during your studies?
I only have study permit that allows me to work for 20 hours a week only. But the consultant of my employer said that I can't work even for just 20 hours because I have already filed another application. I'm confused because agents of IRCC said that I am allowed to but can't show my employer a proof that I am allowed to as per IRCC agents.

kikstaroxy

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
Consultant is clearly confused. You might wanna call immigration while with your employer and then have them confirm

kikstaroxy

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018

kikstaroxy

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
I only have study permit that allows me to work for 20 hours a week only. But the consultant of my employer said that I can't work even for just 20 hours because I have already filed another application. I'm confused because agents of IRCC said that I am allowed to but can't show my employer a proof that I am allowed to as per IRCC agents.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/after-you-apply.html

kikstaroxy

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018

JeanM.

Nov 15, 2020
But they're saying that I didn't apply for PGWP. I only applied for HSWP that's why they don't allow me to work :(

kikstaroxy

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
It follows the same principal. Hence why i sent the immigration act.
No permit required

186 A foreign national may work in Canada without a work permit:
  • (v) if they are the holder of a study permit and
    • (i) they are a full-time student enrolled at a designated learning institution as defined in section 211.1,
    • (ii) the program in which they are enrolled is a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program, or a vocational training program at the secondary level offered in Quebec, in each case, of a duration of six months or more that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate, and
    • (iii) although they are permitted to engage in full-time work during a regularly scheduled break between academic sessions, they work no more than 20 hours per week during a regular academic session;
  • (w) if they are or were the holder of a study permit who has completed their program of study and
    • (i) they met the requirements set out in paragraph (v), and
    • (ii) they applied for a work permit before the expiry of that study permit and a decision has not yet been made in respect of their application; or
  • (x) if they are an Indian.

JeanM.

Nov 15, 2020
It follows the same principal. Hence why i sent the immigration act.
No permit required

186 A foreign national may work in Canada without a work permit:
  • (v) if they are the holder of a study permit and
    • (i) they are a full-time student enrolled at a designated learning institution as defined in section 211.1,
    • (ii) the program in which they are enrolled is a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program, or a vocational training program at the secondary level offered in Quebec, in each case, of a duration of six months or more that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate, and
    • (iii) although they are permitted to engage in full-time work during a regularly scheduled break between academic sessions, they work no more than 20 hours per week during a regular academic session;
  • (w) if they are or were the holder of a study permit who has completed their program of study and
    • (i) they met the requirements set out in paragraph (v), and
    • (ii) they applied for a work permit before the expiry of that study permit and a decision has not yet been made in respect of their application; or
  • (x) if they are an Indian.
Thank you for all the information. I will show this to my employer. Thanks a lot! It helps.