+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Home Support Worker Pathway by taking Acute Care Aide course

sumofjack

Sep 30, 2019
Hello all,

I am checking if it is a correct move to first take an acute care aide program (with co-op) in Canada (maybe Vancouver), and then work as Home Support Worker to get PR.

The college I am looking at offer paid co-op, and has a DLI number. But what makes me worry is it is not eligible for a PGWP. Does it matter?

Anyone are considering this pathway?

Thanks a lot,

Jack

Reactions: kikstaroxy

Allwyn James

Oct 15, 2019
yes , it would . if the college doesn't offer pgwp , then you will have to go back to your home country. and you are not legally allowed to work in Canada . if you are going to Canada as a student I strongly suggest to go with a college which offers pgwp.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scorpion80

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello all,

I am checking if it is a correct move to first take an acute care aide program (with co-op) in Canada (maybe Vancouver), and then work as Home Support Worker to get PR.

The college I am looking at offer paid co-op, and has a DLI number. But what makes me worry is it is not eligible for a PGWP. Does it matter?

Thanks a lot,

Jack
If the institution doesn’t offer a PGWP, how would you work after the completion? Only route would be to go thru the LMIA process with a potential employer , which would be iffy at best they’d want to spend the time , which would be months for approval, or the application fee, which is $1000.00
The pathway you’re choosing is a potentially dead end at best

kikstaroxy

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
Hello all,

Thanks a lot,

Jack
i did this. The program came in just before i finished my studies so i was happy. There is now in demand EE for PSW though so that's a secondary option.
Private school didn't offer pgwp. Spoke to CIC, they confirmed twice that once you apply for the support worker pilot, work permit and pr and mail your package while your study permit is valid (and after receiving certification) you can start working fulltime until your receive a response based on the pgwp rules for students.

Olashore09

Feb 4, 2020
i did this. The program came in just before i finished my studies so i was happy. There is now in demand EE for PSW though so that's a secondary option.
Private school didn't offer pgwp. Spoke to CIC, they confirmed twice that once you apply for the support worker pilot, work permit and pr and mail your package while your study permit is valid (and after receiving certification) you can start working fulltime until your receive a response based on the pgwp rules for students.
Which institution did you attend? I am seriously considering that option too.
Thank you