+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Home address VS mailing address

kazemsd

Sep 9, 2011
Hi All,

I will be eligible to apply for my citizenship next month. I am still a student and do not have a permanent job.
So, I am certain that I am going to move from my place during the process of my application (currently 24 months processing time).
I have a friend who has a permanent job and am sure that he will stay in his address for several years (the same city as me).

In the application form, I put my current address as "Home address".
I am thinking about putting my friend's address as "mailing address" (assuming that it is the address that CIC sends the confirmation and notices).

If I proceed as I planed, I will get all notices even if I change my home address.
On the downside, I fear that this might increase the chance of RQ for me. (because CIC might think that I am going to leave the country)

What do you experts think about pros and cons? and what is your advice?
Thanks as always.

Desert Lion

Mar 14, 2014
I am not an expert to give you an answer about this subject, but I will leave it up to those who knows more, however, my understanding is that, the CIC are very vigilant of checking both the home and mailing addresses, just make sure no one EXCEPT you uses your friend's address,

AS THE MAIN REASON FOR ALL THESE IMMIGRATION REFORMS ARE THE MAILING ADDRESS FOR THE APPLICANTS AS THEY FOUND A FRAUD IMMIGRATION CONSULTANT GAVE HIS ADDRESS FOR MORE THAN 500 SUBJECTS AND THE CIC DECLINED ALL OF THOSE 500 APPLICANT'S APPLICATIONS AS THEY WERE NOT PHYSICALLY PRESENT IN CANADA.

I hope this make some sense to you.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No don, t do it. Use ur current address and whenever u move u can update your address online. Why would u give them any chance to suspect your application ??

kazemsd

Sep 9, 2011
Thanks for your response. Your response makes sense to me.
The one problem is that I read on the forum that changing address online sometimes does not work.
CIC still sends notices to the previous address and somebody mentioned that you should always call CIC and change your address.
Again the problem is that the same person mentioned that there were cases that they called CIC and changed address, but still received notices in previous address.

What do you think about this?

Desert Lion said:
I am not an expert to give you an answer about this subject, but I will leave it up to those who knows more, however, my understanding is that, the CIC are very vigilant of checking both the home and mailing addresses, just make sure no one EXCEPT you uses your friend's address,

AS THE MAIN REASON FOR ALL THESE IMMIGRATION REFORMS ARE THE MAILING ADDRESS FOR THE APPLICANTS AS THEY FOUND A FRAUD IMMIGRATION CONSULTANT GAVE HIS ADDRESS FOR MORE THAN 500 SUBJECTS AND THE CIC DECLINED ALL OF THOSE 500 APPLICANT'S APPLICATIONS AS THEY WERE NOT PHYSICALLY PRESENT IN CANADA.

I hope this make some sense to you.

kazemsd

Sep 9, 2011
Thanks for your reply.
I do not want to give them any chances.

As I mentioned above, the one problem is that I read on the forum that changing address online sometimes does not work.
CIC still sends notices to the previous address and somebody mentioned that you should always call CIC and change your address.
Again the problem is that the same person mentioned that there were cases that they called CIC and changed address, but still received notices in previous address.

Goldline said:
No don, t do it. Use ur current address and whenever u move u can update your address online. Why would u give them any chance to suspect your application ??

egheri

Mar 20, 2014
My advice is to use your current address. Whenever you change your address do it in ECAS and than call in a week or two CIC to confirm it was changed.

I personally moved a month ago and changed my address online a month before moving, it was updated in ECAS 2 weeks later, but I called anyway to make sure. Received my notice to a new address - no problems.

Good luck!

kazemsd

Sep 9, 2011
Thank you for your response.
Have you heard yourself of any cases which changing address online/calling did not work for them (CIC delivered to the previous address)

egheri said:
My advice is to use your current address. Whenever you change your address do it in ECAS and than call in a week or two CIC to confirm it was changed.

I personally moved a month ago and changed my address online a month before moving, it was updated in ECAS 2 weeks later, but I called anyway to make sure. Received my notice to a new address - no problems.

Good luck!

egheri

Mar 20, 2014
kazemsd said:
Thank you for your response.
Have you heard yourself of any cases which changing address online/calling did not work for them (CIC delivered to the previous address)
I have read about it on this forum. It happens sometimes, that's why I suggest calling CIC to confirm. For your peace of mind call them again in a month to re-check.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with Egheri that the best strategy is to use your home address and just call CIC to verify that the change was recorded if and when you move. PRs have freedom of movement in Canada. There is nothing wrong with moving and there is nothing wrong with changing your address. If the CIC messes it up, it's their responsibility. Moving within Canada is not a known RQ trigger.

Also, there have been many reports on the forum of the CIC sending mail to the home address and ignoring the mailing address. So using your friend's address offers no guarantees.

In general with the CIC it's best to follow their instructions as best as you can, do your due diligence, keep your records and if they mess up, then it is their fault. When we try to twist things around in order to avoid triggering their suspicions or their mistakes, it can backfire and end up triggering the very suspicions we were trying to avoid.

Good luck!

kazemsd

Sep 9, 2011
Thank you for your reply.
As you mentioned, I think the best is to use my home address as mailing address.
It is interesting that you mentioned cases reported of CIC sending mail to the home address and ignoring the mailing address.

eileenf said:
I agree with Egheri that the best strategy is to use your home address and just call CIC to verify that the change was recorded if and when you move. PRs have freedom of movement in Canada. There is nothing wrong with moving and there is nothing wrong with changing your address. If the CIC messes it up, it's their responsibility. Moving within Canada is not a known RQ trigger.

Also, there have been many reports on the forum of the CIC sending mail to the home address and ignoring the mailing address. So using your friend's address offers no guarantees.

In general with the CIC it's best to follow their instructions as best as you can, do your due diligence, keep your records and if they mess up, then it is their fault. When we try to twist things around in order to avoid triggering their suspicions or their mistakes, it can backfire and end up triggering the very suspicions we were trying to avoid.

Good luck!