+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Holding PGWP, applying for US visa

omick

Jul 7, 2014
I just graduated from UBC and got my 3 years PGWP, but I have not changed my re-entry visa (student type) into worker type though it's valid until August 2015. Now I have several questions about my situation:

1. I came back to China after I got my PGWP and I will go back to Canada on July 14th. Is there any problem when I re-entry Canada (valid PGWP and valid student-type re-entry visa)? Most people around me told me there would not be any problem about re-entry Canada as long as I explain my situation clearly and has a valid entry visa (whatever type) with a PGWP. But I am not sure whether the new policies from June 1st, 2014 will have any impact on my re-entry Canada.

2. I will have to go to US for an academic conference and a visit to my friend in early August, 2014. Can I apply for US visa before I change my re-entry visa? People told me that re-entry visa is not necessary when I just go back and forth between US and Canada. But my situation is a bit special as I have not started working yet and planned to start working after a two weeks break in China. Is there a better chance of getting the us visa if I use academic conference as my goal of visit? Is it the same visa type for conference trip and visiting friends?

Many thanks!!!

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

omick said:
I just graduated from UBC and got my 3 years PGWP, but I have not changed my re-entry visa (student type) into worker type though it's valid until August 2015. Now I have several questions about my situation:

1. I came back to China after I got my PGWP and I will go back to Canada on July 14th. Is there any problem when I re-entry Canada (valid PGWP and valid student-type re-entry visa)? Most people around me told me there would not be any problem about re-entry Canada as long as I explain my situation clearly and has a valid entry visa (whatever type) with a PGWP. But I am not sure whether the new policies from June 1st, 2014 will have any impact on my re-entry Canada.

2. I will have to go to US for an academic conference and a visit to my friend in early August, 2014. Can I apply for US visa before I change my re-entry visa? People told me that re-entry visa is not necessary when I just go back and forth between US and Canada. But my situation is a bit special as I have not started working yet and planned to start working after a two weeks break in China. Is there a better chance of getting the us visa if I use academic conference as my goal of visit? Is it the same visa type for conference trip and visiting friends?

Many thanks!!!

You don't have to change your visa. You can enter Canada (if visiting only USA) on an expired TRV.

omick

Jul 7, 2014
Thanks a lot for your reply :)

I will apply for us visa as soon as i get back to Canada. But my situation is a bit special as I just graduated from UBC and have not started working yet. I will have to apply for US visa as I need to attend a conference. I guess the officers would have some concerns about my application.

What kinda of materials should I prepare or any concerns I should take into consideration? Many thanks!

omick

Jul 7, 2014
PS: My TRV is still valid until August, 2014. THe problem is I just graduated and change my study permit into work permit but have not got time to change my TRV from student type into worker type.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

omick said:
PS: My TRV is still valid until August, 2014. THe problem is I just graduated and change my study permit into work permit but have not got time to change my TRV from student type into worker type.

A valid TRV stays the same. You don't have to change it.