+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Holding both pgwp and study permit for CEC?

adanikolas

Apr 11, 2023
Hello everyone
So I know that we can hold both permits and it has been confirmed by cic agents. I completed my diploma and transferred to a university for bachelors for 1 more year of study. I have a study permit right now that expires in 2024 August and luckily my new program ends in that time too. So i can just change my DLi to keep my study permit valid. However can I apply for pgwp with that? As in I will have to explain in my wp letter abt my study from 2023 may to 2024 August and that I already have a valid study permit? Please let me know if I can apply for pgwp having a valid study permit.

I also want to know can we apply CEC using that work experience while holding both permits has anyone asked cic agents about this? I know work done during study cannot be counted but since we also hold a pgwp shouldn't that experience be counted for CEC? Can anyone please tell.

Lastly, what happens when a student has a pending exam for a course from Fall 2023 semester and did not enroll in winter 2023 semester but waiting to give the pending exam in winter 2023? What is the enrollment status in that case? Its a deferred exam for me so I am in deferred standing.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Why all this complication? Yes you can hold both but why apply for the PGWP if you intend to study for another year? That's 1 year wasted potentially. For your study permit to remain valid you have to be a full time student, the purpose of the PGWP is to work full time. This means you can't do both full time at the same time. Additionally, it is questionable whether the time working will actually count towards CEC. You are creating an unnecessary level of complication for yourself. If the goal is to become a permanent resident, this plan of yours only increases the risk of your application being refused.

adanikolas

Apr 11, 2023
Why all this complication? Yes you can hold both but why apply for the PGWP if you intend to study for another year? That's 1 year wasted potentially. For your study permit to remain valid you have to be a full time student, the purpose of the PGWP is to work full time. This means you can't do both full time at the same time. Additionally, it is questionable whether the time working will actually count towards CEC. You are creating an unnecessary level of complication for yourself. If the goal is to become a permanent resident, this plan of yours only increases the risk of your application being refused.
Hey I already mentioned it is possible to do both full time legally. I called cic agent and he said it is possible and that 1year can be counted towards CEC. I'm looking for someone who has done this or had same thoughts. The cic agent said I just need to attach an explanation letter saying how I would balance my study and work full time. I can do both as I have options to do online as in study online and work offline.